davidsuzanne

Trip from Philadelphia area to the National Parks out West

Question

Hi "guys"

We just finished a 32 night trip through Va and NC.   We visited  Douthat SP, Smith Mountain Lake SP and Shenandoah River SP in Va and New River SP, Medoc Mountain SP and Mama Gerties Hideaway Campground 10 miles from Ashville.   Our next trip in September is Letchworth SP, Fish Creek Pond SP (our favorite) and North South State Park in NY

We think we are ready to "tackle" the great National Parks out west starting next spring.  We will be starting North of Philadelphia and will make a week or so stop in KC to see my pops before heading further west.

Any suggestions of routes to take.  Head north and then zig zag south or reverse etc   We figured this will be a 60-75 day trip.  Thanks

Dave (happily retired chemist) 

5 answers to this question

I personally would go south first. There are quite a few national parks and monuments south of I70, Rocky Mountain in Colorado, there are two more in Texas. Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, Grand Canyon in Arizona. Joshua National in Southern California (I10), Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite all on US Hwy99. There are numerous coastal parks in Northern California, Oregon and Washington. Don’t forget Glacier and Mt. Rushmore. Weather will be much better up north in the late spring and summer.

it also depends on what you do in each park.  will you just stop at the visitor center, or will you spend a day or two hiking the trails in the parks?  some are good for "just a day" like Great Sand Dunes", and Floressent Fossle Beds, but some like Rocky Mountain Nat. Park , could take several days to explore.  then there are others like Yucca House that will only take an hour at most.

you will hit a large number of parks, weather you go south first or head straight through Colorado.  Do you collect the National Park Passport stamps?  it's a great way to track your visits.

regards,

Chris g.

If you are wanting to go to Bryce, Zion, & Grand Canyons, I would take northern route, because geologically the floor of Bryce is the same as the rim of Zion and the floor of Zion is the rim of Grand. Along the way you can take a tour of Hoover Dam and would end on north rim of Grand which is usually less crowded. Then you can go around the east end of Grand to go to the south rim. The trading post at the south rim has high quality Native American Indian art work for sale. 

As you go back east on I-40, I think you will find the petrified forest in Arizona east if Holbrook. You may want go northeast to the four corners area to get to Mesa Verde to see the Anasazi ruins. On to Durango where you can take the Durango-Silverton railway. Make reservations in advance. Try to get in the enclosed railcars, not the open ones. Coal dust will blacken you and your clothes, but all washes. Wolf Creek Pass is a long hard uphill grade. Take your time, on to Purblo and Colorado Springs. Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, US Air force academy and if you like western music, go to Flying W ranch for a western meal and Sons of the pioneers. 

PS: Rocky Mountain National park is north of I-70 just west of Estes Park. 

So much to do, hope you have enough time. 

Thanks everyone.  Lovings the suggestions.  We want to do as much as possible.  Start West in early April and go until early June.     Fellow Fleetwood Rig.  We have a 2007 Bounder.  She has been great.