RV-NaviGATOR

Colorado route info for Salida to Montrose on Hwy 50

My husband and I are relatively new to the RV life and have a 2019 Newmar Ventana LE which is 37'10".  Does anyone know if the route from Salida to Montrose is too challenging for a relatively new RV driver?  By the time we go in August, we will have more driving hours under our belt but want to make sure we aren't getting in over our heads.  We do know not to go further than Montrose and encounter the eventually really challenging sections of the Million Dollar Highway from Ouray to Silverton, but wondering how the drive is for the stretch from Salida to Montrose. 

Any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Amy

If your plans include travel on US 50 between Montrose and Gunnison—keep checking at us50info.com for road conditions. Been on going serious widening thru Little Blue Creek area just west of Blue Mesa Lake.

I copied and pasted this information from a friend of mine after he heard I would be in that area this summer. Monarch Pass is a long pull so you will need to know how to use your gears to keep your rpm's up.

Edited by elkhartjim

The only real issue is Monarch pass.  I've driven it several times in two different motorhomes.  it is a long pass and a steep grade, but you should be fine.  on the downgrade, be sure to downshift and use any engine/supplemental breaking system you might have.  you should only have to hit your brakes once in a great while, or not at all. 

take your time, its a beautiful drive.

Gunnison to Montrose was a nightmare last August.  Heavy duty road construction through Blue Creek canyon with narrow dirt/mud twisty lanes, construction equipment, lane barriers, you name it.  I wouldn't have wanted to do it when I first started driving my 42' MH.

Don