NEWSTAR

RV Ladders

Greetings RVers. Wondering if it is a good idea to attach things to the roof access ladders on RVs and then driving to your destination? I have seen many different items on ladders going down the road and wonder if the ladders are engineered for that. I am thinking about doing that with a fiberglass step ladder on our Class A Motorhome.

They are not engineered for all the bouncing when loaded with something heavy motoring down the road.  As for carrying ladders, I have my 6' ladder secured to the ceiling of a pull through basement.

Depends on your RV. Some have weight ratings on the ladder provided by the manufacturer that indicate how much they can handle.

Edited by ianbullock

I know of no RV mfgr. that provides limits, or approves of dynamic loads on OEM roof ladders; they only address static load limits. Keep in mind the fastening screws are screwed into fiberglass, not wood or metal.

Winnebago provides weight limits on attached ladders. Also pretty sure they are attached to more than just fibreglass, likely steel brackets. On my Class A the weight limit is 250 lbs. Pretty sure it could handle a 25 lb stepladder.

On 7/1/2023 at 9:31 AM, ianbullock said:

Winnebago provides weight limits on attached ladders. Also pretty sure they are attached to more than just fibreglass, likely steel brackets. On my Class A the weight limit is 250 lbs. Pretty sure it could handle a 25 lb stepladder.

Mine is attached with SST wood screws, there is no metal embedded in the fiberglass rear cap; weight limit 300#. I suspect the weight limit is because the ladder curves over the roof and is mounted to roof. So weight is a straight downward force onto the roof.

Edited by rayin

Wow! Who would have though that some ladders are only attached to the fiberglass?
My ol antique 95 Bounder has 1" pine boards behind the fiberglass for the ladder screws.

Richard