Question

Will be taking our first trip to Eastern USA this fall.  Have always traveled West so very comfortable with distances that direction etc.  Going East not so comfortable.  What travel applications do you guys use to help with finding overnight camping and best routes to take.  We are heading to Sevierville TN.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum.

As far as apps go, I use RV Parky and Park Advisor to check out campgrounds. We also belong to Passport America.

Routing is done with good old paper maps with a GPSr backup. Do not fully trust a GPS, they should be used for amusement purposes only . I do trust it in aircraft because of nothing but straight line routes and there are no dead end streets

Welcome to the forum. I would call The Ridge Outdoor Resort now and make reservations for Sevierville, TN. That is a great area. Can't tell you how to get there because you didn't tell us what RV you were travelling in and where you are coming from.

Bill

Like Dons above, we too use paper maps for much of our route planning.  we use Campgroundreviews.com which is paired with RVtripwizard to find campgrounds and be alerted to low bridges.  we occasionally use gasbuddy to find the cheapest gas in the area.

I use Google Maps as a preliminary starting place.  Type in Sevierville, TN in the search area then click on that map. After the map opens it will display Sevierville, TN in the upper left hand area. Highlight it and delete it then type in RV Parks. The map will populate with the RV parks in the area.  You will also get some junk places not related to RV'ing but it is still a start.

If you point to one of the places it will pop up a screen and you can further look into it.  If one of the RV Parks seems to suit your needs go to Campround Reviews and read some of he reviews.

The GPS is just to get you there and as stated don't trust it to be 100% in your favor.  I use "truckrouter.com and alsot by using that I can look at truck stops along the way. I figure if the big trucks can use the route, I can also.

You can also use Google Maps the same way for truck strops as for RV Parks but the route may not be for big rigs.

Happy trails