ONKUJALA@GMAIL.COM

compact portable air compressor

I have the setup Mike described, but with a Fini brand compressor from Menards. If you don't want to spend that much money, check out this 150 psi 12V compressor from Harbor Freight:  https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=12V 150psi air compressor  I've owned one for about 20 years now and it still performs like it when I bought it, although it is slower to add air than the 120V 150 psi Fini pancake unit.

I have an older version of the Porter Cable noted above.  Works fine and certainly faster than a 12 volt unit.  Mine was on sale  for $100.

Edited by five

I have a Viair 45053 and a pancake 120 V one that travel with us.

One thing I have found is with the Viair if you use a larger diameter air hose it works better/faster. I have seen some with a small axillary air tank and I am considering adding one. Having a tank is why the pancake works so well.

Bill

IMO the Viair brand is vastly over-priced, mine from Harbor Freight performs well and cost $59. Now if a Viair is used continuously for 6-8 hrs. yes it will outperform the HF copy, but what is the projected longest continuous-use?  I've run my HF copy for 20 minutes continuous without apparent damage, I can't imagine longer use.

You're right wildbill; I added a 150G tank to my shop compressors 80G tank and even though the compressor CFM is not great I don't run out of 90 psi shop now when using a impact gun.