Pbyrnes

Fresh Water tank filling upon City Water Connection

Intech Terra—2023 Travel Trailer.  
My fresh water tank is filling up while I have it connected to the city water. What is the procedure to use to stop this from happening. I use a regulator and a filter. Does this have to be placed one way versus another?  Or is there something else going on that I need to do to resolve this. Thanks in advance. 

Patti

Edited by Pbyrnes
Update make, model and year

Probably the check valve in your water pump is bad or has some dirt in it which allows water to leak through the pump into your water tank. I would attempt to clean the valve first before replacing. 

You need to remove the lines from the pump with shore water off.  You will probably need to plug the line coming from the fresh water tank unless it is empty. The head of the pump has some screws the will allow you to detach it. The head doesn't have many parts. Just disassemble and clean with clear water. If there is some scale, use some vinegar. Reassemble and test.  It may take a while to see if it worked. You can buy a separate check valve to place in the line from the fresh water tank, but I not had to do that.  Just cleaning worked. Replacement heads for the pump can befound on Amazon. If I remember correctly for about $20.  

Do you have a shower miser valve? Do you have an automatic setting to fill fresh water? 

It is always beneficial to identify year, make, and model of your rv. We have no way of knowing if you're asking about a pop-up trailer or a Newell.

16 hours ago, Pbyrnes said:

How would I clean the value?   
I have an Intech Terra, 2023 

You might do what Ross posted above and just get a new pump head.

Bill

On 9/25/2023 at 9:38 PM, Pbyrnes said:

Intech Terra—2023 Travel Trailer.  
My fresh water tank is filling up while I have it connected to the city water. What is the procedure to use to stop this from happening. I use a regulator and a filter. Does this have to be placed one way versus another?  Or is there something else going on that I need to do to resolve this. Thanks in advance. 

Patti

I had the same issue and it was the internal check valve in the 12v water pump. I had wanted to upgrade to a better pump anyway; replaced pump and fixed issue.

3 hours ago, donjlong said:

I had the same issue and it was the internal check valve in the 12v water pump. I had wanted to upgrade to a better pump anyway; replaced pump and fixed issue.

No need to replace the entire pump, just replace the head/valves section. It's usually a bit of dirt stuck in the valve body.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:09 PM, rayin said:

No need to replace the entire pump, just replace the head/valves section. It's usually a bit of dirt stuck in the valve body.

Agreed, most pumps are serviceable and parts are normally available. We only dry camp when heading to our destination in truck stops or rest areas for maybe one or two nights at most. We have upgraded our on-demand water heater to the best available and enjoy good consistent water pressure at all times(the wife loves her showers). Generally, the stock pumps are minimal (as was the case of ours) so we took the opportunity to upgrade to the top of the line. Great decision for us.

Often, we are in RV parks with poor pressure, so once again we use our no-board pump and simply fill the tank every few days.