gwtriker

winterizing without antifreeze

I have recently downsized from a class A RV to a small tag along rv. When winterizing the class A, I . sed the water heater bypass to keep from using a lot of antifreeze.

The small RV does not have a bypass and there is nit enough clearance to add one. 

Would it be enough to just empty the heater and blow out the lines to keep them from freezing over the winter months?

on my first motorhome, it didnt have a bypass, so i would drain the WH and then get about 7 gallons of the pink stuff and fill the WH with it, as well as run it through the rest of the system.  i then drained the WH and recovered the antifreeze to reuse it the next year.

I've always used RV anitifreeze. This year I blew out the plumbing with air, then did it again.  The I pumped antifreeze through the plumbing lines, which pushed out about a quart of  clear water before antifreeze began showing.

That was proof enough for me that even though Winnebago says to use compressed air,  it does not remove all water.

The water pump doesn't blow out when using air. You'll need to remove the discharge line and run the pump. Then some water pump inlet screens need to be opened up.

Richard

The safest way is to run RV anti freeze through the system.  Two springs ago, Walmart was having an end  of season sale on Prestone RV anti freeze.  I bought 15 gallons for $15.

If you decide to winterize with compressed air, this is the kit you need: https://www.homedepot.com/p/VIAIR-RV-Winterization-Kit-90145/306053528    Use no more than 50psi. (Don't forget to open low-point drains to drain away  water)

I haven't found any information on this method, but long ago I remember reading about a manual pump you attach to the inside faucets and pump RV antifreeze backwards through the system until you see it coming out at the disconnected pump outlet tubing and trickling out the water heater open drain.

Sorry, I can't find any information on the internet. Perhaps another member has more information.

Here is the manual pump for use  connected to the city water connection.  This would push RV antifreeze throughout the cold water system, but not the hot water system-without filling the water heater; nor would it winterize the onboard water pump.

I can imagine finding an adapter that will screw on to a faucet, replacing the aerator temporarily.  You would then begin at the furthermost faucet from the pump, opening  one valve at a time.

As to winterizing the pump, you'd need to use the hand pump connected to the pump inlet barb, then push RV antifreeze through the pump while it's running; or use 35psi air pressure on the inlet barb and blow out the pump head while it's running.

Edited by rayin