C-784244

Tire Pressure and Inflating

I have a Class A, Winnebago Journey. I have an issue/question regarding inflating tires to proper PSI. I know that we are to measure the PSI when the tires are cold (not driven on for a while). I know that the appropriate tire PSI is calculated from the tire pressure charts in combination with the weight on each tire/wheel. My issue is, if my PSI is low then I have to drive from my garage or campground to the service center to have air added and by that time I get to the service center the tire has built up pressure to be over the appropriate COLD pressure. So, do I add or not?
An exapmpe:
Appropriate PSI for the tire/wheel is 105 (when cold)
I measure the pressure before driving and it is 100, so I am 5 lbs low.
I drive to get air and the pressure has built up to 110.
The tires are rated for a max of 110 PSI.
Once at the service center do I add 5 lbs to the 110 up to 115 and go over the max PSI rating of 110 for the tire?

I could not find on this forum the answer to this specific issue. I may be on the forum, but I could not find it.

Thanks in advance for any advise,
Bob

After driving the pressure will most likely build up to over 110 PSI, but it is factored into the tire.  The 110 is the max pressure when cold.  When you have driven many miles it will be much more the 110 psi and when it sits for several hours it will go down to the cold inflated pressure. It's designed that way.

For everything needed on tire safety, visit Rober Marble's Blog. You will find your answer there.  I can say that I have read your specific situation but don't want to pass on info that might be wrong because it has been a long time.  You can also contact Roger and ask that question.

Thanks for the recommendation on Robert Marble's blog. I have spent a couple (rainy day) hours reading it. Many very informative articles. Thank you for your help.

Bob, welcome to the forum. Just wondering what make and size weight range tire you have. Did you find any help on Rogers site?

I am not saying to do this but. If it was me I would add 10# at the service center and when I got back home and when the tires are cold I would adjust the preshure down to where you want it. The tires have a pretty big safety margin designed  in. I did not tell you to do that.😉

The best thing is to get a compressor like moonwink posted.

Bill

I do everything you are  supposed to do....load the RV, weight the tires cold, compare L and R, use the higher pressure to equalize them...then take that number and add 10% to both tires, or all four when airing the duallies.

Edited by five

On 1/6/2024 at 12:36 PM, C-784244 said:

I have a Class A, Winnebago Journey. I have an issue/question regarding inflating tires to proper PSI. I know that we are to measure the PSI when the tires are cold (not driven on for a while). I know that the appropriate tire PSI is calculated from the tire pressure charts in combination with the weight on each tire/wheel. My issue is, if my PSI is low then I have to drive from my garage or campground to the service center to have air added and by that time I get to the service center the tire has built up pressure to be over the appropriate COLD pressure. So, do I add or not?
An exapmpe:
Appropriate PSI for the tire/wheel is 105 (when cold)
I measure the pressure before driving and it is 100, so I am 5 lbs low.
I drive to get air and the pressure has built up to 110.
The tires are rated for a max of 110 PSI.
Once at the service center do I add 5 lbs to the 110 up to 115 and go over the max PSI rating of 110 for the tire?

I could not find on this forum the answer to this specific issue. I may be on the forum, but I could not find it.

Thanks in advance for any advise,
Bob

Yes that is exactly how you add air to a hot tire. When tires are inflated to the minimum for the corresponding load, they are operating at 100% capacity. Comparatively. auto tires normally run with a 35%  reserve capacity.