waltdawg30145

Newmar 450 or Winnebago 340

FMCA family 

I am a pathfinder member waiting to purchase a class A diesel. My question to my family is will a Winnebago with a Cummin 340 be a good investment, or lean more toward the Newmar 3736 with 450 hp. Please help with any advice. 

Thanks 

Walter 

P000035

Edited by waltdawg30145

Unless the word "bad" precedes it, investment is a word not normally used in conjunction with an RV.  As for the two coaches, most MH manufacturers will mate an appropriate engine to a chassis.  So the 340 will probably do fine with the Winnie, and the 450 will probably do fine with the Newmar.

when chosing any RV, the interior configuration should be as much a priority as the engine/chassis.  Does it have enough room to accomodate you and any guests that will come with you? Are there enough good seats to watch the TV?  do you like the couch, the 'fridge, the bathrooms, etc.  

The reason for asking about the winni 340 engine and the Newmar 450 engine. I live in Georgia and I plan on traveling out toward California. One guy tells me a 340 engine has a hard time climbing mountains and another guy say you want have any problems with a 340 engine. I will most likely carry six people with me. The Newmar was more expensive. That why I am looking for some advice. Some of you may have ventured out west.

hopefully this will help 

Thanks 

Walter

Since you're vague with your question,  I'm not sure you will get many or at least any worthwhile answers.  A Winnie 340 engine and a Newmar 450 engine only tells us the HP of the engine. There is a huge difference in those two engines. Which year and model Winnie, which year and model Newmar. Will you be towing, if so, how and what? Do you plan to sleep or just transport six people? You will need a fairly large motorhome if you plan to sleep six people. 

This forum is loaded with members who have been traveling this continent for decades. Many of us have crossed the continental divide numerous times and at various elevations. Its possible to drive from Georgia to California on I-10 and I-20 and encounter nothing greater than a few big hills.