pwlevens@gmail.com

Ways to improve vehicle handling

I own a 2009 Fleetwood Jamboree Sport 23B with a Ford E-450, V-8 frontend. I would like to improve the handling of the vehicle. I am often tired at the end of a day's driving. The vehicle sways on uneven pavement and, of course, wind and large vehicles blow by, also causing issues.

I am aware that there are three possible solutions to my issues. They include: change out the stock shocks for a heavy-duty set; change out the current anti-sway bar; and/or add a steering stablizer. Currently, I don't have the funds to cover all these possibilities.

Of the three, which would likely yield the greatest "bang for the buck?" I want to invest my funds wisely. Thanks.

In order, to control sway: HD sway (aka anti-sway) bar, better shocks, steering dampener.

Here are installation instructions for your chassis from Roadmaster, one of the largest makers of sway bars for RV's. This will help you determine if this is something you can do or something you want to hire out:

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/1139-147.pdf

Brett Wolfe

I just put Bilstein shocks on my 31' Ford F450 what a difference over stock shocks major improvement. I would also have the front end checked for alignment. I believe these front ends like to have a little bit toe-out, it helps to make them more stable.

Jackson

I had the Ford V-10 on my 2000 Winni Adventurer. It would wander and sway in the wind. When a 18 wheeler passed, it was really noticable. I had the Steer Safe system installed. What a difference! It is simple and not expensive. You can go to their website for more info.

I had it installed on my Voyage with a Workhorse Chassis after the first trip out Wouldn't leave home without it!

Does the F450 have twin I beams? If so air bags in the front coils will help. There is some one looking for RV parks in Deming, NM. Check on one of those sites, go to Deming and visit Steer Safe. The Factory is there and you can have them installed by the best. I had mine installed by the camping store where I bought them. I saw no difference. When in Deming I went to the factory. They redid the Steer Safe and then I noticed quite a difference.

Good luck, stay safe and keep it between the lines.

There seems to be one important point missing from the advice given. Before you spend large American dollars for add-ons you need to have the coach weighed. The proper way is to weigh at each wheel. You would be surprised how many handling problems are caused by over weight coaches.

What is your CCC? After weighing your rig, go to a "good" front end shop and have the rig aligned. If this cheap stuff doesn't work, then look at spending the bucks.

I have a 35 ft Winnabago Ford V-10 chassis. i installed Timbrem SES units on all four corners. The Timbrem devices are large rubber donut like replacements fro the original Axle bump stops. They were recommended by Thurston Spring in RIchmond, VA. However, I ordered them from Stengel Bros. website and installed them myself. I also installed a Bilstein Steering Stabilizer that I ordered from the Shock warehouse website. Total cost for all items was less than $900.00. installation took about four hours by myself. All you need are some large sockets and wrenches and a 10-12 ton hydraulic jack. i used the automatic leveling jacks to take the weight off of the axles to assist installation.

The improvements from the Timbrem SES (Suspension Enhancement System) was dramatic. It removed nearly all of the sway and rock that I had before. Check it out on the Timbrem website. It is a canadian company and the products have a lifetime warranty.

I've owned three class A motorhomes during the last twenty years & the best bang for money spent on handling was replacement of the rubber swaybar bushings with polyurethane. They also usually come with grease fittings to keep that annoying sqeak from appearing when they age.