neilcarol

Missouri To The Northeast Coast

Question

I am starting to plan next falls trip and we have never been to the northeast.

Any festivals that we shouldn't miss? sights, rallies?

We hope to go sometime in Sept/ Oct.

We will be starting in St Louis MO.

12 answers to this question

Guest BillAdams

Hum, NE. That's a pretty broad request. Any chance you could give us more info about what you would like to do and where in the NE you would like to go? Lobster in Maine or the Liberty Bell in PA.

I always start by going to the tourism websites of the states we are going to visit and request information and maps. That said, we like to travel on US highways not interstates so there are tons of things to see along the way. As an example, we could spend two months in Pennsylvania. One thought is to travel up to Wisconsin and follow the lesser highways around the Great Lakes and wind up in New England covering all of the US Great Lakes coast. We are looking at doing this after the rally in Iowa in May. Probably will jump on interstates around a couple of big towns but it looks like some neat sights to see on the back roads. We also like to eat and watch "Diners, Drive Inns and Dives" and visit some of the more interesting places from that show. I've actually thought about approaching FMCA about writing a magazine column with some of these visits.

Hum, NE. That's a pretty broad request. Any chance you could give us more info about what you would like to do and where in the NE you would like to go? Lobster in Maine or the Liberty Bell in PA.

love lobster.......would probably like to eat my way across the states. We really aren't sure where we want to go or see, not familiar with any of the NE states. Would like to see it all but dont have that kind of time. We think we will have about 3 weeks.

I always start by going to the tourism websites of the states we are going to visit and request information and maps. That said, we like to travel on US highways not interstates so there are tons of things to see along the way. As an example, we could spend two months in Pennsylvania. One thought is to travel up to Wisconsin and follow the lesser highways around the Great Lakes and wind up in New England covering all of the US Great Lakes coast. We are looking at doing this after the rally in Iowa in May. Probably will jump on interstates around a couple of big towns but it looks like some neat sights to see on the back roads. We also like to eat and watch "Diners, Drive Inns and Dives" and visit some of the more interesting places from that show. I've actually thought about approaching FMCA about writing a magazine column with some of these visits.

we have a 40 ft motorhome and being sort of a new traveler, we usually like interstates. How do you find out about the sights on the back roads and will the motorhome fit under bridges?

I am starting to plan next falls trip and we have never been to the northeast.

Any festivals that we shouldn't miss? sights, rallies?

We hope to go sometime in Sept/ Oct.

We will be starting in St Louis MO.

I went to the Northeast Sept 10 thru Sept 26, 2010...N.Y. Thruway to the Green Mts. of Vermont (Von Trapp Lodge in Stowe)...White Mts of N.H. (Mt Washington is a must stop) ...Bar Harbor in Maine was next...Then down the Maine coast to R.I. (Newport is beautiful), Mass. & Ct. (take RT 1 to bypass the Maine tolls: very expensive). Next time will go around the first of Oct to see the foliage at its peak.

Guest BillAdams

Most obvious stops if you are so inclined.

Brickyard in Indianapolis

Dayton, OH Aviation museum (awesome....2 days)

Detour to Niagara Falls?

Head from their to Quebec City (wonderful)

Onward to PEI?

Philadelphia and Gettysburg, PA (History)

Washington, DC (not quite NE but sometimes we wander)

Baltimore and it's inner harbor

NY, NY (The city so nice they named it twice)

Boston, MA (more history and some baked beans)

Cape Cod, MA (do a whale watching trip)

Salem, MA

Bar Harbor, ME and then take the CAT to Nova Scotia (time issue, I suspect)

Bath, ME (maybe not, it's just where we camped when I was a child)

Most obvious stops if you are so inclined.

Brickyard in Indianapolis

Dayton, OH Aviation museum (awesome....2 days)

Detour to Niagara Falls?

Head from their to Quebec City (wonderful)

Onward to PEI?

Philadelphia and Gettysburg, PA (History)

Washington, DC (not quite NE but sometimes we wander)

Baltimore and it's inner harbor

NY, NY (The city so nice they named it twice)

Boston, MA (more history and some baked beans)

Cape Cod, MA (do a whale watching trip)

Salem, MA

Bar Harbor, ME and then take the CAT to Nova Scotia (time issue, I suspect)

Bath, ME (maybe not, it's just where we camped when I was a child)

Thank you, sounds wonderful. Gives me a good start.

I went to the Northeast Sept 10 thru Sept 26, 2010...N.Y. Thruway to the Green Mts. of Vermont (Von Trapp Lodge in Stowe)...White Mts of N.H. (Mt Washington is a must stop) ...Bar Harbor in Maine was next...Then down the Maine coast to R.I. (Newport is beautiful), Mass. & Ct. (take RT 1 to bypass the Maine tolls: very expensive). Next time will go around the first of Oct to see the foliage at its peak.

Thank you. Any good parks with waterfalls, great views etc?

Guest Wayne77590

Do you consider Rhode Island part of the NE Coast? If so, consider touring Neport, RI. Great little town, and the $60+ for the tour of the mansions is worth the price. All the mansions are self guided audio tours. Some great history in that little seaport town. The only place I would recommend to stay is Fishermen's Memorial State park, near the Block Island (RI) Ferry. It's 20 miles back to Newport.

You can go to the Wharfs in Newport and get lobsters you can grill for $8 a piece from the firshermen. They are usually a good sized lobster.

We have also stayed at the Freeport/Durham KOA which is about 6 miles from the L.L. Bean store in Freeport, ME.

Conway NH is another area that is nice.

Do take a ride up Mt. Washington (summer time) and make darn sure the brakes the the car or truck are in great operating condition. You will not be able to ride up in anything bigger than a 3/4 ton. DW will have white knuckles by the time you get to the top. (hee hee!)

Happy trails.

An invaluable tool for back roads is "The Motor Carrier's Road Atlas". Any highway which handles 18 wheelers will handle the largest MH. In particular the atlas shows overpasses, tunnels, and also gives highway construction contact information for each state.

Don't forget the Erie Canal if you are interested in history.

Some books for resource:

National Monuments of America

America's Back Roads

Off The Beaten Path

We can share lots of stories about places we have seen, which are unreachable by Interstate. Last year we got on US2 in Michigan and followed it to Washington State taking many side trips from the highway to visit some outstanding sites.

Ward

Waterfalls, you say? How about Letchworth State Park in western NY west of the great Finger Lakes Wine Trail. And New Hampshire near the Old Man of the Mountain that fell on his face, The Flume.

Large vehicles are difficult to maneuver in the populous areas of New England. Just plan to park and take your toad into cities.