Sign in to follow this  
smalexander

Poor AM and FM Radio Reception

Our MH’s radio has never pulled in much of a signal unless we are close to a radio tower.

Our antenna is broken off just above the roof line. I’m hope that is the problem. I’ve been trying to find a replacement antenna but I only see car and CB antennas for sale.

Camping World, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart all have come up empty handed.

Does anyone know where the RV mfgs get their antennas?

Steve

I have never actually experienced your problem, but have you tried places that sell AND INSTALL car radios? Some place like Car Toys and some BestBuys. Or go to a large truck stop that has a radio shop on site. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps. Or, of course, you could contact your manufacture if they are still in business.

Good luck

Our MH’s radio has never pulled in much of a signal unless we are close to a radio tower.

Our antenna is broken off just above the roof line. I’m hope that is the problem. I’ve been trying to find a replacement antenna but I only see car and CB antennas for sale.

Camping World, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart all have come up empty handed.

Does anyone know where the RV mfgs get their antennas?

Steve

Steve, There are replacement/repair antennas out there. They have a spring base, that helps them from breaking. They are designed to fit over the broken end of your antenna and are secured with a set screw. You might check out auto parts houses like Pep Boys, O'Rileys, Car quest, Auto Zone and NAPA. However there is always the tried and true COAT HANGER. Good luck.

Or you could just abandon the old AM/FM for Sirius/XM Radio. You'll find news, sports, talk, weather, traffic reports, and plenty of music. Find your favorite stations (chose from over 100 stations) and listen to them wherever you travel (except N Canada and Alaska). There is an initial investment in the radio receiver and the monthly charge (about $10 or $12 depending on the length of contract). We love ours.

Steve, make sure it is a non-ground antenna you get. Some RV manufacturers put a standard automotive antenna on a fiberglass body. That doesn't work well since it needs to be mounted on a metal frame. Replacement tips for these antennas won't work any better than the original it replaced -- on non-metal ground planes.

As Jon recommended, an antenna for boats, motorcycles, or otherwise stated as no ground antenna are designed to work on non-metal vehicles. Like most RV's. Note the base attachment photo in the link. A non-grounded antenna for non-metal applications has a different base than the antennas in most stores (except marine stores) due to the different grounding issues.

The "no ground" antennas for boats, RV's, etc. actually do have a derived ground in a set of coils designed as part of the antenna. The theory is beyond this discussion, but it works very well.

FYI, do not put a "no ground" antenna on a metal surface. It will actually reduce it's efficiency.

All the above is valid for CB antennas also. Most CB antenna manufacturers offer both a grounded and non-grounded CB antenna.