Roodriver

North Georgia To Sacramento California

Question

We like to travel off the beaten path and are planning a trip from North Georgia to Sacramento CA.

It looks like we will have to travel on Interstates entering California because of the mountains.

Anyone have US highways going cross country that they like? Should we go through Colorado?

10 answers to this question

When we head west from Texas, to that area of CA, we take US 64 across northern NM very scenic and always stop in Angelfire NM to get out of the heat (high elevation).

Then 95/24 across Utah.

Then US 50, the "Loneliest Road in America" from Utah to CA border. A delight.

Brett has some good highways that I would also recommend. I would add to what Brett said that US 50 is entirely suitable as an RV route through the Sierra Nevada right into Sacramento.

Others that may be of interest US 54/50/160 through southern Kansas to see some great Kansas farm country and many small towns. US 40 through northern Colorado into Salt Lake City has lots of mountain scenery coming out of Denver then runs the high plains across northern Colorado. That takes you through dinosaur country in northern Utah and more great mountain scenery coming into Salt Lake City.

Further east, US 62 or US 60 through northern Arkansas or southern Missouri are very small roads through the Ozark mountains. It is really slow travel but great scenery and lots of small towns. There are places here where you may feel like a dog chasing its tail but if you don't hurry, you'll see some real Americana. There is some great lake fishing along this route if you have the time.

Thanks for the input. Looking at the atlas, I think a plan is starting to take shape. Tom, would you like to share the names of some of these fishing holes?

Two years ago we took the advice from this forum and took US2 across to Washington and the coast highway through Oregon. Great advise which made for a fantastic trip.

I'll post the route we decide on in a few days. Thanks again. Happy 4th to all!

Ward

These lakes are generally south of US 60 in Missouri and north of US 62 in Arkansas. I've included links to a web site for each. There are more web sites for each area if you do a search for the lake name you will find more information.

North of Popular Bluff in Missouri is a small but interesting lake, Lake Wappapello. It is still recovering from flooding this spring but is open and by the time you get there should be ready for some good fishing. In eastern Arkansas near Mountain Home is Norfork Lake. West of there is Bull Shoals Lake, a monster that meanders along the Missouri and Arkansas border. Just north of there in Missouri is a smaller lake with good trout fishing, Lake Taneycomo. In Southwest Missouri near Branson is another large meandering lake, Tablerock Lake. In northwest Arkansas near Rogers and Bentonville is Beaver Lake. All of these are fed by clear water Ozark Mountain streams and are excellent bass or trout fishing. They are visitor ready with boats and gear to rent at numerous locations. Every gas station and quick shop in the region sells bait along with cold beer! If you want to fish, this is as close to heaven as you can get here on Earth.

Great sites Tom, You hit two of my hot buttons at one time, fishing and Corps campgrounds. Looks like I'm going to have to add a few more days to the itinerary,

Ward

We too are in North Georgia and we love to head across the country on US 82. We are in Big Canoe so we head over to Waleska, Adairsville, circle around Rome (taking 1 south) and 411 through Cave Springs to Gadston and then pick up I-59 to the toll road (one toll bridge) just west of Tuscaloosa, AL and most of the way into NM it is 4 lane through beautiful scenic country. Very few 18 wheelers and a beautiful new bridge across the Mississippi! The mountains are not as difficult in the south and we pick up I-40 in Albuquerque and enjoy the views and mountains through NM and AZ. You failed to say if this was a leasurely trip or a fast one. Hopefully you will have lots of time to explore along the way!

We like to travel off the beaten path and are planning a trip from North Georgia to Sacramento CA.

It looks like we will have to travel on Interstates entering California because of the mountains.

Anyone have US highways going cross country that they like? Should we go through Colorado?

Roodriver, Hwy 80 come across GA. AL. MS.LA. and into Texas. it follow along I-20. When you get to Ft. Worth, TX it turns into Hwy 180. Around there I would go north and catch Hwy 380. into NM and you can go through Roswell and Ruidosa. Cool area. from there you can go through Alamogordo, NM (in the summer it can get really hot in this area) that goes accross the White Sands NASA Test Facility (ditto) into Las cruces. Then the interstate to Deming, NM and go north through Silver City, NM then on into Arizona and the Petrified Forest and the Painted Desert. North from there bring you to the Grand Canyon. I don't know much from there on. But Heck if I wasn't laid up with a bad shoulder I might have talked myself into going right now. :D

Jean, unless there is a medical emergency, all of our trips are of the leisurely variety and we like to see as many sights as we can along the way. As a result, we avoid interstates if at all possible. We tend to travel at 55-60 mph. Thanks for the information about US 82. I would like to work that in sometime.

Herman we took the 180 route 4-5 years ago and agree that it is a good one. We also liked 190 and I think 290 in Texas. In fact there are several towns along 180-190-290 that we have marked to return to and visit longer. There were also a couple of city Rv parks that we missed the first time around that had some fine fishing possibilities.

We are going to take a look at returning via the 80 or 82 route since we will be coming back to Georgia in February, so the Northern routes will probably be snowed in.

Thanks for the input. That's what helps to make FMCA such a great organization.

Ward