jking2000

Chevy 1500 LT Toad

Hello, New Member of FMCA Here. Got a question for the experts! I currently have a 2010 Damon Tuscany with a 360Hp Cummins, and pull a 2006 GMC Envoy (4,394#).

The wife and I are considering a 2010 Chevy 1500 LT Extended Cab 4x4 (5,509#). Our Motorhome Hitch & Blue Ox Towbar is Rated for 10,000 Pounds. We would have the Air Force One transfered from the Envoy to the Truck. Everything, looks to be an easy transfer, but wanted to see if there is something that we are missing. And maybe should consider a deal stopper? I realize the coach will consume alot more fuel when towing the truck!!! -James

I would not expect you to have any problems. We towed a 2007 Tahoe LTZ (5700 lbs) behind an HR Ambassador (10k receiver and tow bar and BB) with no problem and no fuel penalty. We downsized and then towed it behind a 32.5 ft Kodiak Greyhawk gasser (8.1 Vortec) and it got the same MPG as the DP - 7.6 average. We towed a Colorado behind a Winnie Journey 39W and averaged 8.3 mpg.

Don

Welcome to the FMCA forum,

From the numbers you posted, all looks well. However, you might also check your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). It will be listed on your coach along with the axle ratings, etc. Let's make sure the combined weight of you coach (as measured with full loads) plus the weight of the new toad is not more than the approved GCWR. Please let us know what you find.

Good luck,

Tim

Tim gave you the correct advice. Least strong component determines towing capacity.

So in addition to checking coach receiver capacity, take the GCWR minus actual weight of your coach (your GVWR could give you a rough idea)= towing capacity.

So in addition to checking coach receiver capacity, take the GCWR minus actual weight of your coach (your GVWR could give you a rough idea)= towing capacity.

Thanks Everyone, I show the GCWR at 42,000 and the GVWR at 32,000.. So, I should have up to 10,000 in Capacity correct? And the Hitch has been confirmed to be a 10,000 capacity.. -James

Thanks Everyone, I show the GCWR at 42,000 and the GVWR at 32,000.. So, I should have up to 10,000 in Capacity correct? And the Hitch has been confirmed to be a 10,000 capacity.. -James

Yes, as long as your actual "Going down the road" weight is not over 32,000 pounds.

Brett

Hello, New Member of FMCA Here. Got a question for the experts! I currently have a 2010 Damon Tuscany with a 360Hp Cummins, and pull a 2006 GMC Envoy (4,394#).

The wife and I are considering a 2010 Chevy 1500 LT Extended Cab 4x4 (5,509#). Our Motorhome Hitch & Blue Ox Towbar is Rated for 10,000 Pounds. We would have the Air Force One transferred from the Envoy to the Truck. Everything, looks to be an easy transfer, but wanted to see if there is something that we are missing. And maybe should consider a deal stopper? I realize the coach will consume alot more fuel when towing the truck!!! -James

James,

Let me welcome you to both the FMCA and the Forum.

I have towed a 2003 GMC Yukon XL many miles with no problems. I believe you will need a set of BX1674 Base Plates. That are the ones I have just ordered for my 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab. They look to be easier to install then my last set. One nice thing about the later model Chevrolet Trucks and SUVs is that they do not have a locking pin for the steering wheel. You just hook up, connect cables, put transfer case in neutral & transmission in Park, have wife check that the wheels turn free, turn off ignition, close and lock the doors and go RVing.

If you are around Texas send me a message and I will tell you about The Lone Star Chapter of FMCA. :)

Again, Welcome

I have towed a 99 Silverado 1500 for about 95,000 miles. It's a V/6 with a 5 speed. In the bed is a 92 gallon diesel tank. I get 11 mpg with a diesel pusher and added to the fuel capacity on the mh and can go coast to coast without refueling.

Thanks Again Everyone.. Well tonight we left the Envoy at the dealer, and brought home a 2008 GMC Sierra with 9,000 Miles. Talked to Blue Ox and well they recommended a professional install the Base Plates. But the Instructions looked to be an easy installation. A little nervous, so may end up having a dealer do it! Thanks Again !!! -James

Thanks Again Everyone.. Well tonight we left the Envoy at the dealer, and brought home a 2008 GMC Sierra with 9,000 Miles. Talked to Blue Ox and well they recommended a professional install the Base Plates. But the Instructions looked to be an easy installation. A little nervous, so may end up having a dealer do it! Thanks Again !!! -James

James,

The unit from Blue OX is No. BX 1674. I will pick up mine today at United RV in Ft. Worth, TX. If you haven't looked into a braking system might I suggest looking at M & G Enineering in Athens, TX. m-gengineering.com. Their unit for your GMC will run about $1,200.00 installed. They will plumb your coach and install the unit in your GMC. Just give them a look.

Congratulations on finding the low milage GMC. :)

James,

The unit from Blue OX is No. BX 1674. I will pick up mine today at United RV in Ft. Worth, TX. If you haven't looked into a braking system might I suggest looking at M & G Engineering in Athens, TX. m-gengineering.com. Their unit for your GMC will run about $1,200.00 installed. They will plumb your coach and install the unit in your GMC. Just give them a look.

Congratulations on finding the low mileage GMC. :)

Are you planning to do the install yourself? Also, thanks for recommendation on brake system, The dealer was able to remove our AirForce One brake unit from the Envoy using the Installation Guide. Looks like all is there and not been hacked in the removal process. So will have it re-installed in the truck.. :) Trying to decided to ignore the Blue Ox Warning and get out the Air Tools and do the Install myself!!! -James