bobbyks

Auxiliary Braking for Toad

Has anyone had experience with the Roadmaster InvisiBrake system? I have a 45' Mandalay. 425 ISL Cummings and tow a 2008 Jeep Wrangler, 4 Dr., looking for less hassle auxiliary system.

Thanks,

Yes, I had one installed in our Ford at the Madison FMCA Convention. Just towed it 1,300 miles home. It performs as advertised.

Nothing to move, attach, etc. Everything is installed out of the way and permanently in the toad. One wire to connect toad to coach for the monitor in the dash to show when the toad brake is on and the flex wire for the break-away and that's it (no "box").

You can't see or feel the unit in the toad unless you get down and look under the seat/at the back of the brake pedal.

A dial on the unit allows you to "tune" toad braking.

The wiring also includes a 2 amp toad battery charger when parking lights are on in the coach. We towed from Madison to south Texas without starting (or even disconnecting) the car and the toad battery was fine.

If you are going to keep your toad for awhile and don't want to set up a "box brake" each time you tow, this is one of the units you should put on your list.

I just reviewed the installation manual for this system and to me it is the same as my US Gear braking system that I have had for year and have transferred it from my Saturn to my Jeep Wrangler.

Go to SMIbrake.com and see the units (one for air brakes and one for non-air). They require 2 signals to operate-brakes from the motor home and the control in the toad. With these units the brakes are only on when the motor home brake is on and the signal from the controller that says you are slowing. When you get ready to travel, just flip a switch.

Check out MG Engineering, Athens, TX. Works with coaches air brakes. Check them out. I have towed a 03 Yukon and now a 08 Chevy 1500 extended cab.

Never had one problem in over 25.000 miles.