Sign in to follow this  
BlugrassTrail

Generator Shut Off While ACs, TV Running

Hello.

We are brand-spanking-new RVers. My wife and I just purchased a 2000 National Sea View 8340 Class A motorhome. We were just sitting in it because we couldn't go anywhere yet! We had the generator running with both A/Cs going and the TV, but nothing else. All of the sudden the generator shut off and everything died. I thought it had reached the minimum gas tank level so I didn't think too much more.

The following week we went back. I started the generator with the push of the button. No problem! We started one A/C and turned on the TV. After about 20 minutes, the A/C and the TV both shut off, but the generator was still running. We checked the breakers and all were still good.

I have no experience what so ever, so I was wondering if there are any ideas out there before I drive it all the way back to dealer (85 miles). Thanks.

Mike

Maybe your original idea was correct - That is the main fuel tank is at the fuel cut-off point.

It sure seams easy to just fill the fuel tank and if things work. Why don't you try it?

PHE

I am not familiar with your motor home model. Our generator has a time limit set by the inverter. Ours is set at the maximum of six hours for the generator to run. After six hours it will shut off and will remain off for a period of time before we can run it again. If your inverter controls the generator, it could have a time set that is less than six hours. That could explain the first incident if fuel cut-off wasn't the cause. It is possible it was fuel cut-off but shifting of the vehicle or fuel expansion with temperature might restore fuel to the generator for a short period of time. If it was fuel shut-off the first time, it should have required priming to get the generator running when you went back the next week. That means you wouldn't have been able to just press the button and have the generator kick right over.

Assuming this is an Onan generator, there are a number of sensors that will also shut down the generator. Overheating, low coolant, low oil level are just a couple of reasons that the generator may shut itself off. If this is the case, the start button in your motor home should have a light that indicates the generator is running. If there is an error, that light will blink and the number of blinks, usually in two sets, is a code for the error. An error code is usually a series of blinks, a pause and then a second set of blinks. The two numbers together are a single error code number. After the two number set of blinks, there will be a pause and then it will repeat. If you don't have a manual for your motor home and generator, you may have to call your local Cummins/Onan dealer to discuss the problem with technicians who can tell you what the code means and what needs to be done to fix it.

The second incident when the generator kept running but you lost electricity sounds like a completely different problem. If the generator is running, it is generating electricity. Something has broken the circuit between the generator and the rest of the motor home. There is a circuit breaker on the generator, look near the start button on the generator itself. Another possibility is a faulty transfer switch. The transfer switch will be buried somewhere in the basement of your motor home. It is an automatic switch which transfers power from shore power (the big heavy extension cord you plug into the power box at a campground) as a source of electricity or the generator as another power source. We had this problem with a motor home we owned several years ago. In the case of the transfer switch, you are dealing with 50A 220V electric within the box itself. Do not attempt to test or repair this device unless you are very confident of your skills with electrical wiring.

We had similar problems with our 1999 Holiday Rambler. Genny would start then stall so repaired the governor link, still wouldn't run so then replaced the fuel pump. That fixed the problem but then the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) vibrated like crazy and would kick off the circuit breakers on the Cummins 5500.

With the help of Randy at Best Converter http://www.bestconverter.com/ we purchased a new ATS and that cleared up the problem. The new ATS has a battery charger and power supply feature. We used a licensed electrician to install the ATS.

Where can i find the automatic Transfer switch in my RV and how can I know if it is working,

Does my RV always need to have a full Tank of Gas before my Generator work right?

Thanks

Where can i find the automatic Transfer switch in my RV and how can I know if it is working,

Does my RV always need to have a full Tank of Gas before my Generator work right?

Thanks

Not all motorhomes have ATS's. Follow your shore power cord wiring from side of coach and/or generator wiring to/toward the 120 VAC breaker box. The intersection of generator output and shore power will be the ATS or a plug that will allow you to plug in the "source" you want to use to power the 120 VAC items in your coach.

Most generator pickups in the fuel tank are above 1/4 tank so you can not strand yourself by running out all the fuel powering the generator. But, it should not require a full tank.