Sign in to follow this  
nelsokelso

Fiberglass Roof Chalking

My coach is 10 years old and the roof is bleeding a white substance consistent with white aluminum when it is subject to intense sun exposure and water.

Is there a product I can place on the roof (liquid) to prevent this from happening?

Welcome to the Forum.

If it is gel coated fiberglass, it can be compounded. Wax along the side that are visible from the ground, but not the center section where you or technicians would walk to service A/C's, etc.

If Filon (random glass strands visible), do not compound. It can open up the strands and make water and dirt absorption much faster.

Thanks....Now that you have answered my question I think I made a mistake in guessing that the roof was fiberglass. Since the rest of the coach is aluminum I have to assume the roof is also aluminum. Does the waxing proceedure still apply???

Waxing the whole roof makes footing very dicy for anyone who needs to work on it, that's why I suggested only waxing the parts you can see from the ground.

And if aluminum, the amount of compounding before wearing through the paint is SUBSTANTIALLY less than were this gel coated FG. Said another way, gel coated FG is many many times as thick as is the paint on metal.

I have a 1994 Dynasty with this problem. I clean it good and then apply a coat of Mop & Glo floor cleaner/polish. This seems to seal the fiberglass and stops the streaking down the sides of the coach. Barry

Are the white streaks coming from rain or after washing? Many times they come from the water used to wash the coach. I have seen comments about using a filter, vinegar or both when rinsing after washing. I am going to use my extra filter with a charcoal cartridge and will post the results.