I have 2006 Safari Simba, gas, with a noisy water pump.

It is a Shurflo.,2.8 gal/min. and satisfactory except for the noise. I have put foam all around it, so I'm sure the noise is coming from the pump itself.

Could anyone recommend a Shurflo pump that doesn't chatter?

Guest BillAdams

Is the pump connected directly to the plumbing? It is recommended that you install a loop of flexible tubing between the pump and the house connection so that it will absorb the vibration rather than having it echo throughout the system. I have seen "pump quieting" kits but you can create your own with some tubing and clamps from a home improvement store.

Might check the pump mounting. The screws can't be to tight on the rubber feet. You need a complete loop of soft hose on each side of the pump.

Bill's advice is right on.

In many cases, you can dismount the pump and turn it 180 degrees. Then use a half loop of flex hose from old rigid pipe to pump on both inlet and outlet.

Done many of these modifications.

The rigid pipe acts as a conduit for transmitting pump vibration to the rest of the coach.

Brett

I have a Roadtrek RS and the pump was so noisy I thought I might be asked to leave a campground it was so bad. I installed two 36 inch flexible hoses one one each side of the pump, and I also mounted the pump on a 6 mm layer of foam with a 1/4 inch piece of Masonite between the pump and the foam. The pump is barely audible now inside the unit and cannot be heard at all outside. Total cost was less than $15 and an hour of my time.

Gary

2008 RS

Gary, Welcome to the Forum. Be sure that you haven't blocked all the air flow to cool the pump. If your pump has to run for any length of time it will get hot and burn out the pump without good air flow.

Just a hint.

Herman, Thanks for the tip and welcome.

The pump was moved about 3 inches to allow room for the new piping since the pump was originally attached to rigid plastic pipe that came through and was touching the floor (which the manufacturer said not to do).

In the modification the pump was raised up about 1/2 inch on the foam and Masonite. The space under the pump is similar to what it was when attached to the RV floor so air flow should not be an issue. In my RV the pump is in a fairly large open space.

Gary

I installed a small accumulator tank in an older RV, and it solved my surging noise problems. However, it did occasionally surge when using water for an extended time, but it was adequate for my use. I'm not advocatiing amazon, just did a search to find the tank.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=shurflo+accumulator&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3841532571&ref=pd_sl_vsowb47je_b

I agree with all the previous comments.

I like to hear small noise from the pump.

At night, when we are in the bed, if I hear the pump running for few seconds, I know that we have a small leak or a valve in the pump is defective.

Gilles