Sign in to follow this  
braisted

Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have been towing 2000 Wrangler but it is worn out. Thinking of changing toad to 2012 Grand Cherokee. Concerned about weight and ease of set up to tow. Also, looking at 2012 Liberty. Any thoughts or concerns will be appreciated.

It would help to know what you are going to tow it behind. The Grand Cherokee is perhaps the easiest vehicle to set up to tow that there is. Setting up a Liberty is comparable to setting up the Wrangler. The Liberty is somewhat lighter than the GC. I have towed all three vehicles behind my current coach, you can't go wrong with a Jeep. The Grand Cherokee is by far the most comfortable to drive of the bunch, however my current Wrangler has more capability off pavement, which is why I traded the GC for it!

Thanks for the reply. Bought Jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday to tow behind 2006 Holiday Rambler with Cummins 330hp. Compared to our 2000 Wrangler it is a joy to drive. Must now figure out wiring.

Larry

I have to agree the GC is the only way to go for ease of set-up and hook-up, and driving, never had thought of the Liberty as it's as heavy as my 01 GC was, scale weight.

And while we're on the subject of towing, has anyone seen the ad page 116 under towing equipment section, for http://www.electrictowhitch.com. Check this out, this guy invented a new way of towing, not quite 4 down, same principal as using a tow dolly, but better than both and you can back up.

Please someone check this out and get back to me.

In advance thanks for your feed back.

RCWilly@aol.comn

Fascinating product, but ... with the car lifted up this way it appears that you have about 1/2 the weight of the towed vehicle hanging on the motorhome's receiver. This has got to exceed the tongue weight allowed on the motorhome. Wouldn't that much weight on the receiver also make the front end of the motorhome very light and affect the steering? Am I missing something?

Fascinating product, but ... with the car lifted up this way it appears that you have about 1/2 the weight of the towed vehicle hanging on the motorhome's receiver. This has got to exceed the tongue weight allowed on the motorhome. Wouldn't that much weight on the receiver also make the front end of the motorhome very light and affect the steering? Am I missing something?

Actually, with most vehicles you would use this with (as it lifts the front wheels off the ground) being front wheel drive it would put more than half a vehicle's weight on the hitch.

And as you point out, that much weight 10' or so behind the rear axle will add well more than that weight on the rear axle and remove some weight front the front axle.

So, you would need to verify:

Hitch rating (particularly tongue weight)

Enough rear axle capacity (GAWR minus actual weight) to accommodate at least 130% of the added weight-- more if you have a longer rear overhang.

And, if the front axle is already underloaded, this will make ride and handling worse.

Will this work on some applications, particularly with tax axle DP's yes. But be VERY careful out there.

Brett