wolfe10

Just Installed New Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I decided to join this century and install a complete tire PSI monitoring system in our coach and toad.

After a lot of research, decided on the PressurePro. I liked the quality of the components and being designed and built in the U.S. was a big plus. The reports from current owners were also very positive.

Programming was very simple-- of course with expert directions from Dianne who sat in the driver's seat and told me in what order to install the sensors as they automatically program in that location and PSI. The whole process took 20 minutes for the 10 tires.

Can't believe I waited this long. The peace of mind of knowing that all the tires are at their correct PSI is great.

Now, what will I do with that tire bat??? No more tire thumping at each stop and checking with a gauge once a week. Sadly, Dianne already has a list that will occupy what I though would be a little spare time.

Wolfe, what did you use for a tire bat? When I worked at the bus company, I made one for the service guys - they had trouble getting any stroke on the standard wood bat, on the inside dual of the city buses. I cut a piece of rebar about 16" long, ground it nice and smooth on the ends. I heated one end with a torch and bent it around a 3/4" bolt, about 1" from the bolt head. Then I brazed the bolt to the rebar. Took me about 15 minutes to make. When I gave it to the service foreman, he treated me like I was his all-time best friend! That tire checker was still in use there when I left. I no longer have access to the tools and parts to make something like that, but I'd sure like to have a good bat for my coach.

G. Stewart

Wolfe, what did you use for a tire bat?

G. Stewart

Nothing that sophisticated. Just a ball peen hammer. Never relied on it to tell exact PSI, but it, along with placing my hand lightly on the sidewall to check temperature every time we stopped (ya, one of these days I will get an IR gauge-- don't want to jump into the new millennium too quickly) would tell me if something was enough wrong that I should check with a gauge.

Already had fun watching the PressurePro monitor for tire PSI today while driving. Predicted a 2-3 PSI increase in the side exposed to the sun as we drove one way-- it happened. As sun went to the other side, sure enough the 2-3 PSI higher readings shifted to the other side. Professor Boyle would be so proud-- RV's DO follow the laws of physics!

Brett

Brett,

Thanks for the info on the PressurePro. I already have an IR gauge and have been looking at the tire monitors. So I guess I will make the change before our trip to Alaska this summer.

I usually do a walk around, putting my hand on the sidewalls. I like the idea of a thumper too, but then I will need to get my ear attuned to the different pressures. I don't suppose that takes very long to get used to. I have used an IR temp meter, then need to get some info as to how many degrees increase is acceptable before panic.

The thumper will never give you accurate PSI readings. But it is an excellent device for quickly telling of a tire is significantly low on pressure.

Your hand and/or IR gun will give the same information. A tire run substantially under inflated WILL be running HOT.

Brett: i just received the same system in the mail along with the cross fire system. I am trying to find a tire company around the Houston area to install - maybe Strouhl off 288 can install. Do you know of anyone? I also have the booster system for the toad. Thanks Clarence

Clarence,

Nothing complex about installing/programming the PressurePro. Two people makes it easier. Dianne sat in the driver's seat and pushed the buttons on the monitor to bring up the next wheel position to be programmed and I installed the senders-- merely screwed them on as if they were large valve stem caps.

I have not installed the cross fire system, but it does not appear from their literature that installation is complicated either.

But, yes, Strouhl down on 288 is also where I get my Michelin tires. They do a lot of motorhome tires.

Brett

Brett,

What did you do for the inner tire on the rear duals?

I recently had a valve stem go bad on my inner tire. The tire dealer that fixed it said that it was likely caused by the valve stem extensions through the outer tire (with rubber doughnuts in the outer rim) having slight, but constant, relative motion that wore down the valve stem gasket.

While I was in the tire dealer another MH owner was having new tires with sensors installed. He had purchased super long tire valves (about 9 inches) for the inners to add the sensors out where they were accessible. He shared the info with me and those long valve stems were about $125 from his source.

The tire dealer claimed neither those long valves nor extensions through the outer tire were a good idea for the same reason above.

Bill,

The senders fit on my original all metal valve stems-- no extensions (Alcoa aluminum wheels). At .6 oz per sender, I don't anticipate a problem. Yes, the longer the extension, more "pieces" to it, and certainly rubber stems, as well as the heavier the sender, the more problems I would anticipate.

Also, I may be over-finicky, but I affixed wheel weights opposite the stems/senders (tape on for aluminum coach wheels and regular weights for the car) for the coach front wheels and all 4 car wheels so wheel balance would not be affected.

Brett

Bill,

Wow, it is great to see that some manufacturers do monitor the Forum and are here to help with technical advice. As I mentioned, my installation did not require extensions, so I have no first hand experience with them.

But, I just got a message from PressurePro:

You might mention to Bill-O (as I just read his posts) that if he is looking for reliable extensions, we always suggest Haltec brand. You can find them all over, Myers tire is a large supplier for them. If questions arise from dealers, you can even call Haltec direct and they will be able to lead you to the correct product. They are all American Made, just like PressurePro, hand check every piece for quality, and are very informed on our systems as we work closely with them.

Brett- Thanks for the info. Having had two blowouts this past summer, I always worry about tire pressure when traveling. My offer to take you flying is still good. I live at Songbird airport west of Alvin.

I have tha TST system and while they have had issues with sensor failures, they exchanged my failed ones at the Madison convention no questions asked. TST may not be the best but it has saved my neck a few times. I would not be without a monitor of some brand. Do your research and choose one but do it.

I think there would be universal agreement among all TPMS manufacturers that even if you don't buy their system-- buy someones. Kind of like toad brake systems and their manufacturers.

Brett

I have a Tyron monitoring system purchased at Lazy Days in Florida 8 months ago that quit working. I contacted both Lazy Days and Tyron and neither will do anything. My $635 purchase with a supposed 2 year warranty was a total waste of money.

Brett

Bout time you got the TPMS. Wouldn't bother with the IR unless you just need an excuse to get out of the way when Dianne starts cooking.

Surface temps are not really meaningful as rubber is a great insulator so it doesn't transfer heat quickly to the surface which is cooled by the moving air. The other problem is that you would need to be sure to target the same small spot on the shoulder of the tire every time you get a reading as surface temps will vary by over 50°F within a 0.25" distance.

This info based on my use of a $10k IR camera that could take readings every 0.01 sec over very small areas (down to 0.03") and do this on a tire running on a test drum at 50 mph.

RE: Thumpers. Controlled testing has shown that 95% of experienced truck drivers, most of whom claim to be able to accurately tell if a tire is OK, are usually off by 20 psi or more. Being 20 psi low on a tire that requires 100psi means it is considered "flat" as far as tire companies are concerned so if you can't identify a "flat" tire the thumper is really not much value.

But glad you made it to the 21st century.