Deborahheinz

Lug Nuts

I have a 2005 Southwind motorhome on a Workhorse chassis. I will soon leave on a 3,000 mile trip and have been told to have the lug nuts checked for proper torque before departing. The wheels were removed in April for the brake recall and I have driven less than 500 miles since that time.

How often should lug nuts be checked?

Thank you for assisting with this matter.

You didn't say if you have steel or aluminum wheels.

Tire Rack has a nice post (aimed at cars & LT) but still worth reading.

Personally unless I was installing new wheels or had painted the wheel or hubs other than a check after 50 miles I have never worried about re-torquing wheels but then again I use a torque wrench and not just an impact wrench when installing my wheels.

New wheels and anytime you applied paint would dictate checking torque as the wheel needs to seat fully against the lugs and the paint does squeese out a bit which will change the torque value.

Never torque a hot wheel as the metal has expanded so you will get a false reading.

If you have steel wheels your torque setting it 475ft-lbs. Unless you have a huge torque wrench and possible a breaker bar, you will have to have them torqued by a truck mechanic.

I have a wrench. I check mine twice per year and if I an having service that requires a wheel to be pulled I watch them torque the wheen and then I check them a week later.