Avalanchediver

Air Suspension-- Air Bag Replacement

How ofter should the air bags / springs in my air suspension be replaced? Mine have some rubber cracks but look much better than most of the other RVs I inspected before buying this one.

Do owners replace them regularly before they fail? Is there a recommended replacement interval? Most of the diesel pushers have air bags under them with cracks in the rubber surface. Is this normal or should they be replaced?

I have seen some really weathered ones that have not given their owners any trouble, but I want to avoid issues without wasting my $...

Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

My suggestion is to run the coach by any shop that works on OTR trucks. They use the same air bags, and they could do a better job of answering your question than our speculation without actually seeing them.

That said, air bag failure is very rare unless there is a chaffing issue, puncture from road debris, etc.

Brett

Does anyone know or have literature on how to replace the air bags on a 2001 Roadmaster RR8S chassis?

I was looking at them yesterday and there is some spots where the rubber is pitted at the bottom of a few bags, it looks like divots in the rubber from road debris getting caught up as the bags roll over itself. It has me slightly worried about the failure possibility.

Since they are right at the wheel opening they look fairly simple to replace, I was hoping for instructions on how to access the mounting,air lines and most importantly how/where to stabilize the chassis for bag service. I had some ideas but didn't want to block it someplace that would cause stress on the suspension cage or frame above. I also have to replace the protectors (straw like material) that are suppose to block road debris, they are deteriorated.

Anyone ever tackled this before or any thoughts?

Joe,

Brett is correct about consulting with a truck repair shop. I just checked with Monaco about the Part Number and cost of an airbag for my Roadmaster chassis. I can't remember the P/N but do remember the price $541.00 each. :o

A friend of mine had a bag go bad in Shreveport at the Rally. It didn't cost that much for the service call and the parts. He has since then bought a couple of bags, I will find out where he got them and post it here.

Herman

Brett is correct in why a bag goes bad. I had one go on me at the RR crossing in Pecos on Hwy 285S, that hump is real bad and I hit it at about 20mph and it also made the Bilstein into a boomerang shape. Trucker next to me lost an axle on his trailer....place was tied up for 7 hours! This was in 13' with the Allegro Bus!

Carl