benzz99

Fueling 2004 Itasca Meridian 36G

When fueling with a high-flow nozzle at a truck stop I must hold the nozzle carefully or it will shut off. The nozzle will fit into the filler tube. It will take up to 10 minutes to fill 60 or 70 gallons. At the flying J I will use the small nozzle. I must position the nozzle carefully and set it only on the lowest notch or it will shut off. Is there a technique or a modification that will allow a quicker fueling?

Ben,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Check both large diameter fill line and small diameter vent line from side of coach to tank. If there is any sag in either, it can cause your condition.

If there is a sag, let us know, the fix is usually pretty simple and inexpensive.

A trick that should help is to use the coach jacks to raise the side with the fill on it. That will give more slope to the fuel fill hose from side to tank.

Brett

I have been told that some fuel tanks have anti-siphon baffles in the fill neck and will restrict the flow of filling. I am going to check the neck of my 2008 P/U to see, because I have the same problem as Ben with the truck.

Herman

Like most MHs, mine has a filler on each side. Sometimes it flows better if I loosen the cap on the side not being filled. I guess it vents better that way.

Like most MHs, mine has a filler on each side. Sometimes it flows better if I loosen the cap on the side not being filled. I guess it vents better that way.

BUT, it is sure easy if the pavement is tilted toward the "vent side" for fuel to pour out as you fill. Be careful doing that.

Slightly off topic, but maybe not and I assume if this is an issue, it would be the same regardless of chassis; The Freightliner operators manual states, "Federal regulations prohibit filling a fuel tank to more than 95 percent of its liquid capacity., and in the next paragraph "Never fill fuel tanks to more than 95 percent of their liquid capacity. This could make them more likely to rupture from impact...."

I realize the statement is aimed at operators who can see the fuel rise inside the tank and I assume in the case of a motor home chassis with a tank inside the frame that the design of the system would prevent overfilling. So, my dumb questions: Would tilting the coach allow you to inadvertently overfill? If so, could it not only be a safety concern, but also cause problems with the fuel system venting etc.??

Stuart,

Ya, I guess one could force enough into the tank to fully fill it, but one would have to keep re-setting the handle after it cuts off as the pump cut-offs are pretty sensitive (that is part of the OP's issue).

And that would assume that the tank is not externally vented, which they are, at least in the generation of diesel vehicles all posters in this thread have. I don't know about the new ones that meet the much stricter EPA requirements.

BUT, it is sure easy if the pavement is tilted toward the "vent side" for fuel to pour out as you fill. Be careful doing that.

True...I check the angle of the coach, plus I just 'crack' the off side filler tube enough to let a bit of air inside.

I think this must be a common problem especially when you have to use the large diameter rapid flow truck pumps. I don't insert the nozzle very far and never lock the nozzle on. This requires extra care but I can regulate the flow just fast enough to fill without shutting down. The partially inserted nozzle also vents more air. Very tiring to manually hold the right flow but faster in the long run, at least for me. It requires very close vigilance to prevent spillage.