genetaylor

Diamond Shield Removal

Better man than me. I have see how much work it is to remove Diamond shield. I walked away from a couple coaches that had it for that reason. Good luck on your restoration.

Bill

Bill, thank you! 

Knowing what I know now if the next coach has it they can either remove it prior to pick up or keep it.

Forgot to post, its all off. Here are the before and after photos.

Before

After

I have some paint damage from what appears to be poor prep when the coach was painted new that I am waiting for an estimate to have fixed. But what a difference! Very small spots of paint that wasn't adhering properly I will have corrected this fall. This was the 3m product on my coach, FYI their own glue remover doesn't work on this product.

15 hours or labor total to remove that mess.

Joe.  Fantastic job and it looks good for a 14 year old coach!  I just wonder what it would have looked like without the 3M?  I have seen professionals, replace the Shield in less than a day on several occasions...there must be a trick to it.  Perhaps it needs to be replaced more often?  Mine is peeling off by itself on top of front cap, so I will have it replaced later this year and I will report to the group! :P

Carl C,

Joe,

As Carl said, great job the coach looks great. If you could please post your procedure you followed to do the removal. Steam is supposed to be the way to go and I have been thinking of renting one of those steam tools for removing wall paper. It will cover a broad area and confine the steam to one spot. Think it will be a project for this winter.

Just had another brilliant idea, I can park the coach outside facing west down here and around five PM it should be soft enough to peel right off.:rolleyes:

Herman

12 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Joe,

As Carl said, great job the coach looks great. If you could please post your procedure you followed to do the removal. Steam is supposed to be the way to go and I have been thinking of renting one of those steam tools for removing wall paper. It will cover a broad area and confine the steam to one spot. Think it will be a project for this winter.

Just had another brilliant idea, I can park the coach outside facing west down here and around five PM it should be soft enough to peel right off.:rolleyes:

Herman

Herman, the secret is definitely in the chemicals. I bought the kit from this small company. It came with all of the tools, scrapers, goggles gloves, spray bottles everything you could ever think of including wax and polishing pads. Watch the video in the end is the guys cell phone number. I met him in person right after we bought the coach in a campground in Pigeon Forge TN July 2014, he charges $1000 materials and labor to do the job, I believe the kit from him was $400. Looking back I should have had him do it then.

We used steam, my friend bought a Shark household steam cleaner for $8.00 in a thrift shop, it was slow but worked. He is working on his Tiffin now with the leftovers. He has the Diamond Shield, I had the 3M version.

Here are the steps;

Day 1, pre treat, cream product you apply the day before two times, it is like paint stripper on the shield, it loosens it. No affect on the BASF paint Monaco used in these years. 

day 2, steam and scrape the shield off. The kit comes with two different size scrapers for the shield removal process. Apply the glue remover supplied and the glue melts off, just scrape it off with the supplied plastic scraper he supplies a pack of plastic blades and two different size scrapers these are in addition to the other two mentioned above.

Wash the front and hand polish the paint.

I haven't polished it yet waiting for some of the touch up work then I'm going to have the entire coach polished after it sets up.

I tried 3m adhesive remover just to compare, no good, the glue didn't respond at all. The products in his kit were like nothing I had ever seen. My friend that helped is a body shop manager, he couldn't believe how strong that BASF paint is, it's like scraping crud off of a piece of glass.