Sign in to follow this  
GhostPilot

First Time Motorhome Buyer

I am looking to purchase a motor home but have had no experience with them. My last RV was a tent trailer. I have 2. I’m very interested in but can’t decide which one would be best for us. We will use it for camping/boating and also traveling out of state (800 miles).

I’m looking at a 1988 Hawkins Motor Coach and 1986 Fleetwood Limited. They are both 36' long and the Fleetwood is a tag axle. I like The Hawkins for its higher ground clearance, aircraft style backup side lights and all oak interior and the Fleetwood for its outside appearance and tag. Is there one that would be better than the other?

I would be concerned about the towing capacity if you are wanting to tow a boat. A lot of 80's vintage coaches were maxed out with just the house on the chassis, such as the need for a tag axle. Another thing is that even if the coach is low mileage things like the roof ac's, water

Heater, refrigerator, etc. could need replacing. I would look for something in the mid to late 90's. I have noticed diesel pushers in the 12,000-

16,000 price range.

GhostPilot,

Hawkins is out of business and Fleetwood is still in business. As DD69 pointed out you are looking at two coaches that are close to 30 years old and may have a world of problem now or shortly. Check out www.mrolivers.com Paul has severl later model coaches in a wide price range.

Good Luck

Herman

I love my "nearly 30 year old" Prevost! The math on an 88 (like mine) would actually be 24 and the 86 26, but who's counting. Hope I never have to buy another coach!

Thanks for the advice. I only have 8K to spend for now that is why these rigs are that age. I'll check on the load capacities. I read that class A`s could pull more weight because they built around the frame instead of using a van chassis.

David

If you only have $8000 to spend you have to figure in the cost of getting it road ready. If the tires are over 7 years old there is a good chance they need replacing. Tread can be there on an RV tire and it is rotten from just sitting. When you get a blowout on a MH with 80-100# of pressure you will most likely take a part of the MH along with the tire. The DOT code that is stamped into one side of each tire will give the week and year the tire was made. The first 2 numbers are the week and the last 2 are the year of build. 2209 would mean the 22nd. week of 2009. If there are only 3 numbers they are from the last century and should be replaced immediately.

I would definitely save some additional money for brake checks and fluid flush, transmission flush, and anti-freeze flush. There are also the other possibilities of age problems. My daughter & SIL just bought a 1982 Wanderlodge so I know what it takes to get one in shape. The first thing they did was the new tires for $2600. Since SIL is a great do it yourselfer he has a lot of new projects for himself. Being able to do things yourself is a great help on an old MH.