Sign in to follow this  
Rhymmer

4X4 and Towing

Can any or most 4x4's be towed four down?

I am planning on buying a vehicle to tow and prefer to buy a 4x4 if the set up is basic.

I just read about the M & G braking system and I have an 03 Tiffin Phaeton with air brakes.

Does anyone recommend a toad that is basic to set up? I heard that jeeps are easily set up for towing.

Thank you.

Most foreign 4x4's are not towable 4 down, Toyota, Nisson, Mercedes Benz, Land Rover, and BMW come to mind. These vehicles are mostly "All wheel drive", rather than 4 wheel drive. Some of them can be flat towed with driveline modification. Jeeps are easy to tow 4 down, but beware, there is at least one Jeep transfer case that is not towable. The only jeep that can, for sure, be towed 4 down is the Wrangler. Many GM and Ford 4x4's can be flat towed, but you should make sure that a specific vehicle can be towed before you drop any money on it. Get it in writing!

I found a great deal on a 95 toyota 4runner. 4X4 has a neutral setting.

Has anyone ever towed one of these?

Remco does not have a pump for this vehicle, but does has plates and tow bars.

I have read a bit about one being able to disconnect a drive shaft underneath the vehicle.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Ty.

I have no experience with the 4-runner so hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply. However, I have read about the driveshaft disconnect. Remco used to make and sell this product. They sold that part of the business. Not sure if Remco still manufactures it or if they sold the license to manufacture to the new company. The new website is remcodsc.com. There is an application chart on that site that lists Toyota 4-runners. They also have a "Locate Dealer" tab that might help you out.

Good luck and be sure and post whatever you find out. It may help someone else down the road.

Jack

I just contacted Drive Shaft King in Dallas, Texas. Remco is still manufacturing the Drive Shaft Disconnect. However they are so swamped with orders, they are experiencing several weeks of back orders. But they are still making disconnects.

If you are in the DFW area and need a disconnect Contact David, Drive Shaft King, 214-941-7122. They are one of the best.

Good evening,

After much research and internet boards I hope to purchase a Chevy Silverado.

Thank you all for the feedback and help.

Much appreciated.

I TOW A 2003 GMC YUKON 4X4 , ROADMASTER BLACKHAWK TOW BAR,, VERY EASY HOOK-UP AND DICONNECT----HEAVY, HARD TO STOP IN AN EMERGENCY. GM HAS GREAT 4X4 SET-UP FOR TOWING.

Lloyd, you didn't mention a braking system. Do you have one? I towed a 03 Yukon XL many miles with no problem towing or stopping. I had a M & G brake.

Herman