Sign in to follow this  
juan53

2000 Georgia Boy Cruise Master Won't Start

I just bought motorhome. When you turn the ignition on, all power turns on. I started up the generator and it worked fine, turned ignition off generator shut off all lights turned off checked the battery disconnect and its not working. Now my coach won't start-- just clicks but no starter engagement and I changed out bad top post and put a battery charger and it still won't start

Can battery disconnect create a no start problem?

Juan,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Start by checking voltage at both house and chassis batteries. A lot of strange things happen with below 12 VDC. Do you have shore power-- if so, charge up both banks, either from the on-board converter or a portable battery charger. THEN recheck everything.

Brett

Good morning.

I have all power the place all batteries are charged in the electrical there to. I'm not sure if there relays but one hot wire just across to the other relay and when I had my wife try and start it, I took my test light and had power on both sides of relay.

When my wife tried to start, the relay to the left just clicked and power goes out to the left side were all my fuses are connected. What do I do next-- all it does is click like a bad solenoid on a Ford if you know what I mean.

One more thing to add to this: Now I turn on my ignition and my generator won't start. Wow!!

Thanks.

Juan,

The coach engine and generator start from the same batteries, the chassis batteries.

There is a relay in the system that disconnects the power from the ignition switch and the generator. Generally labeled Main and Aux.

The main is for the chassis circuit and the Aux is for the Coach 12 volt system.

If you have an Aux start switch on in the dash area, press this switch and see if the coach engine will start. Then if the alternator is working, the generator should start.

Should things work the way I described, most likely you have a bad disconnect solenoid or relay. There could be a bad connection on one of the larger terminals of this device.

I do not know your coach that well,but if you check and see what happens. Post it and others will chime in that know you setup better.

Rich.

I've tried starting from inside the coach by pressing my aux battery and it still clicks i went underneath the coach and tried starting it from the starter and nothing just a little spark when i jump the solenoid-- I have 2 solenoids side by side. There is power on both sides of both solenoids when keys on.

When I go to start it the solenoid on the left clicks same line as the fuses. Hot cable goes on the right side relay or solenoid to the right. A jumper goes to the first solenoid or relay and there power there on the left side of that solenoid or relay.

In line fuses are there when I go to start power clicks and test light goes out on the left side. No start, just clicking or popping inside of solenoid or relay.

2000 Georgia boy cruise master.

Thanks

Juan,

As I asked earlier, have you checked voltage at the chassis and at the house bank while sitting and also while cranking the engine?

Brett

juan 53,

I don't see where you have said what make of chassis you have and what engine you have.

This is some of what I know. Both Ford and Chevrolet have starter solenoids. On the Ford when you engage the starter the Bendix is moved forward by centrifical force as the starter spins. If you get power to the starter side of the solenoid then your starter may be bad.

On the Chevrolet the solenoid is on top of the starter and when power is sent to the solenoid it engages the Bendix. Inside of the Chevy solenoid there is a brass plate that moves forward that connects two studs that powers the starter. Many times the studs and plate become burnt and do not make contact. 1) you can replace the solenoid. 2) Open the solenoid and clean the burnt spots and reassemble the unit. On the Chevy that same plate has the accessories in contact and that post some time becomes burnt also.

Now that I have divulged what little I know about the starter let me say this.

Most coaches have several 12 volt continues solenoids. I just had to replace two on my coach. I have 5 in my coach (Monaco Dynasty) plus one Very large one I haven't found out what it connects. Relays and solenoids have basically the same function. Relays are for light loads. Solenoids are for heavy loads.

If you can get a Load Tester out it on each of your Batteries and check each one separately.

Maybe someone can tell you how to check your Battery Isolator. I know I have one but have no idea what it does, but it must be important or I would not have one.

Good luck and hope you find your problem soon.

Herman

Juan,

With good battery voltage and symptoms of low voltage at the starter (check voltage at the starter when someone else turns the key) the first thing to do is to clean and tighten both positive and ground connections at batteries and coach ends.

If you check voltage at the starter and it is materially lower than at the battery-- again a symptom of poor connection/bad cable.

Brett