rickh

Traverse City, Michigan Campgrounds

We will be visiting the Traverse City area and would appreciate recommendations for a campground to stay at with our 40' motorhome.

I have not been to Traverse City or any area of MI, so can't offer any suggestions as to where to stay. However, I have had my eye on staying in Petosky, about 1.5 hour drive north of Traverse City and I have been eye-balling a couple of places to stay. Here's what I have come up with:
There's an exclusive Class A only resort in Petosky.
Also, I hear mackinac island is a must see when traveling MI; Petosky is nearby
Hope this helps!
Rob

Are you traveling with kids? If so, avoid Wild Cherry RV Resort. We stayed there last summer and if you are looking to visit area wineries and are just looking for a place with a nice view to park the RV then this might be a place to consider.

If you look in my photo album and open the picture of Scout (my Golden Retriever) you will get a look at the area where they park the coaches. They are around the pond and two golf holes (not seriously groomed but Ok for practicing). While they do easily accommodate large coaches, there is no pool and not a whole lot to do there but it is a good base location from which to explore the area.

While you are in the area I do highly recommend the Riverside Inn in Leland for dinner. Food is great and so is the wine list. (And it ain't local wines!)

http://www.signature...harbor-michigan Stayed here on a special several years ago, great place, nice accommodating folks. They are in the lots sales business but have called me several times asking if I was coming back just to stay a week, one of the best places we have stayed in the last several years. Not far from Mackinaw which I agree is a must see.

We have stayed at signature resort at Bay Harbor on a couple of occasions and agree with Montie it's a very nice facility.

It has been taken over by another owner with the intention of sales of lots ownership in mind. No high pressure to purchase.

Nice bike trail too !

Have fun J.G.

So you are able to stay at Bay Harbor without having to endure a tour and sales pitch? If that is the case I will put them on my list. I'm not buying a lot and going to one place all the time so I won't go to a spot that wants to pressure me to buy something.

I don't know about Bay Harbor, but we have stayed at many "RV Parks For Sale" and have never been bothered. They usually charge too much and they usually ask you once if you would be interested in a "tour" in return for a free stay but when I have answered no, that was the end of it.

Hope my reply is not too late. By all means, check out Indigo Bluffs RV Resort in Empire, MI. It's a 20 minute drive into Traverse City, and is situated right at the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Beautiful park with concrete pads & full hook-ups in The Class A only section. You are close to all of the Leelanau Penisula's great attractions, and contrary to one of the posters inferences, the local wines and wineries are exceptional, particularly Chateau Fontaine.

You are close to all of the Leelanau Penisula's great attractions, and contrary to one of the posters inferences, the local wines and wineries are exceptional, particularly Chateau Fontaine.

We went to several wineries for tastings and I found most to be okay. There were a couple I would describe as better than okay and I bought them. If you find them to be exceptional, well that is your opinion and that is fine. Appreciation of wine is a highly subjective matter. But I think there would be more than one or two local wines on the menu at the Riverside Inn if they were all so exceptional. (IMHO)

Traverse Bay RV Resort just north of Traverse City (TC) near Acme on M-72 is very nice. The resort is easy to get to and is only about 5 miles from downtown TC. Close to golf, shopping, beaches, sight-seeing, and good places to eat. The staff is great and the amenities are many.

Petoskey is a very nice area but is along drive from TC. A drive that gets even longer in the summer traffic.

Any trip to TC should include a trip around Leelanau County which is just west of TC. Visits to Glen Arbor, Leland, Suttons Bay, Northport, and Empire are well worth the to adventure to see. Drive north on M-22 from TC around the county and end at Empire. Don't forget to stop at the light house at the end of the Leelanau peninsula. Sleeping Bear Dunes is a must see and no trip is complete without a stop at Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor and a visit to Fishtown in Leland.

The M-22 trip in mid-October displays fall color as outstanding as any place in the U.S.