deluco

Motorcycle Carrier Recommendations

Looking for recommendations for a motorcycle carrier, with powered lift. What does everyone use and recommend? Thank you.

Jim,

Thank you for your service.

There are several companies that offer lifts for Motor Cycles. What your cycle weights should help determine what kind of carrier you need.

Do you tow a vehicle? There are carriers that have an extended receiver so you can still carry a cycle and tow at the same time.

Google: Motor Cycle Carriers/RV.

Herman

Jim,

What motorhome do you have?

What is the weight of the motorcycle you would like to carry?

Particularly on motorhomes with a long rear overhang, a motorcycle and carrier add a significant weight to the rear axle and subtract quite a lot of weight from the front axle. This can adversely affect handling or in some cases make it a dangerous proposition.

Thank you for your response. I have a 33' class A motorhome and I am going to be carrying a small motorcycle...right now I'm considering one that is about 330 lbs. I won't be towing behind the carrier. I do have a carrier that will handle it but have to get the cycle up a ramp and I am not comfortable trying to run it or push it up a ramp. I've already done that with a scooter and because I'm short, even that was a contortion. I MAY consider getting a small winch with a remote control and pull it up the ramp with a winch.

First off let me add to Herman's comment, Thank you for your service!

My experience carrying 300 pound and 850 cycles has shown me several things. First off, at 330 lbs you may need supplemental rear suspension so the coach does not look like a low rider. But it depends on the type of chassis you have.

If the coach already has a 2" receiver on the back, I would focus on getting a carrier, whether fixed or a lift type, that fits your bike size and weight and you are comfortable using. Particularly from a personal safety standpoint. Load the bike and check level of the coach. Before and after. Use a measuring tape from a fixed point to ground.

I carry a 280 lbs scooter on the back of the van. But I put 3000 lbs Firestone air bags on the rear suspension because a 800 Harley would be back there from time-to-time. I do find the bags make the van more stable with or without a load on the rear. Never any steering issues.

The Harley on the coach was another issue. Long distance from rear axle as Brett mentioned, plus four times the weight. That caused issues with the Torsalastic suspension and the extended carrier, itself weighing an additional 300 lbs. That plus some "expert welder" issues and we sold the Harley after 500 miles of fulltiming.

Can't offer specific recommendations for a carrier because they come and go on the market in many different configurations. You can pay from $100. to almost $5000. new. Less used. Check Craigslist. I would google search for "motorcycle carrier" and take some time to see the market offerings for different size and weight bikes. Get a feel for the size and type you need/desire and then shop for the best deal.

My scooter carrier is rated to carry 500 lbs, but only weighs about 30 lbs so I don't have to break my back to install it vs the 300 lbs pneumatically lifted carrier for the Harley that had casters to move it.

Being an RVer, try to find a carrier that will accomodate the bike ramp being attached to the carrier when driving. Otherwise you end up with a fairly large item to store when moving.

Gentleman and Ladies,

I have seen a trailer awhile back that would carry both a boat and a golf cart, ATV or even a Jeep, at the same time. The boat was loaded from the water. The trailer was pulled up and hydraulics raised the boat up and you were then able to load the next vehicle. I am sure it could have been adapted to a car and motor cycles.

A google search for boat and car combination trailer might find the trailer I am speaking of.

Herman

Herman,

Yes, they exist, but we don't even know if the OP has a gas or diesel or what his towing capacity is.

The rig you describe may WAY exceed his safe towing ability-- we just don't have enough information to know.

Brett

I'm already carrying a scooter at 250 lbs on a ramp carrier that probably weighs under 50lbs. One thing I don't want to do is tow. I'd rather carry. I have a gas engine if that makes a difference. It's a 33' Damon Daybreak Class A motorhome with a pre-installed 2" hitch. I was hoping to add as little weight as possible, but I understand that any carrier with a lift on it will probably be a significant additional load.

Can anyone recommend a brand of carrier? One that has a power lift? What brand do you use and do you like it? I'm only going to be carrying one cycle, about 330 pounds. I WAS carrying a scooter on a carrier that loads with a ramp.

Jim, I can hear the DI now "DELUCO, GET YOUR BUT OVER HERE AND GIVE ME 50" I like that name.

I digress. I found your carrier in a strange place. BLUE OX, try www.blueox.com. I didn't know they made carriers. They have one called "Overbilt SportLife III".

Check it out.

Herman

From the Blue Ox Website for the Sport Lift III: http://www.blueox.com/p-1185-sport-lift-iii.aspx

P/N: SC4200, Sport Lift III

P/N: SC9000, Receiver Hitch W/ Plates

**Please verify motorhome chassis capacity rating before purchase, as some coaches do not support all carriers or Sport Lifts. Sport Lifts are for Diesel Pushers only. Some welding is necessary for installation of Sport Lifts, Sport Carriers, and Motorcycle Carrier I. Follow proper welding guidelines. When towing with a Sport Carrier, the use of a Class IV tow bar, Class IV safety cable, and supplemental braking system is strongly suggested.

Thank you !!! Yes, I did call Thor (coach mfg) and they don't recommend a "Lift" carrier without first contacting the frame mfg (Ford). They say the tongue weight max for the hitch is 500 lbs. Based on this and the above, I will probably keep my light weight carrier and put the small cycle on it with a winch when I'm alone. That will be a total of about 400 lbs on the hitch. I'll still double-check with Ford.

There are also several members of my RV club who carry motorcycles and I am awaiting some return communications from them.

Thank you all for your help. Not as simple as I thought...

Just an update: I ended up purchasing a Honda Shadow and the additional weight (560-ish lbs) required that I tow, so I purchased a Kendon Single Ride-up trailer. A bit pricey, but an extremely well-built and it tows really well. Additionally, I live in a condo and can't store a trailer outside, so I needed a trailer that folded up and could be stood up in the corner of my one-car garage and this one fit the requirements perfectly.

Good choice - I use a Kendon Dual Rail to haul my Ural sidecar - works great, and the torsion axle suspension makes for a worry-free haul! When it's standing yp in my garage it takes up about 2 feet of floor space.

Jim there is a formula for figuring how much weight the scooter and carrier will add to your coach rear springs.

Its AXB divided by C

A= weight of Scooter + 460

B= Wheelbase + Rear Axle to Existing Receiver + 23

C= Wheel base

I think you might be surprised at how much weight can add to the rear of your coach.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Walt

2000 Dynasty

17 minutes ago, opsmdev said:

How does this change when you move to something like the Idaho Tote or the Cruiserlift Swivelwheel?

You might not get a answer as this is a 4year old thread.:o

Bill