Sign in to follow this  
Ralph

Extended Warranties

I have purchased a 2005 Allegro Bay. Good Sam gave me a quote of nearly $ 5,000 for a 4 yr. warranty. Would appreciate any suggestions on other options. Your help greatly appreciated.

We have been RVing since '69 with TTs, popups, Hilo and 4 motorhomes. One of the MHs was a new purchase and it was the one with the most problems. I have never spent $5000. on any of them for anything that would be covered by a warranty. Put the $5000. in the bank and if you do need something you will have the money plus a few cents interest. If nothing happens you will have $5000. If you read on here and RV.net you will find many who have had a lot of problems collecting and a few who have been happy they had the X warranty.

Remember, they are not a "warranty" they are a contract. Read them carefully, most are exclusionary meaning everything is excluded except for what is listed and most have a clause that says something like "if a non-covered part damages a covered part then neither is covered". So, if a wire burns and burns other wires then only the first wire is covered. Or there are requirements that are hard to meet: one person had a transmission fail, the insurance company requested his service records and found that the owner missed an engine oil change by 700 miles so they refused coverage for the transmission. I think they canceled the policy and refunded his money though but that was far less than the transmission repair would have cost. Lots of little gotcha's too, like requiring a visit by an "inspector" before beginning repairs. If that happens in the middle of a trip you could have to wait a week before repairs can even begin.

Another gotcha is that the repair shop must call for approval first, some people have had the shop say it was approved, then they find out later that the shop lied to them and never got the OK to proceed so no coverage.

We are going to pick-up our '06 HR in a few min. Camping world quoted me $9,000 for 4 years warranty, raised my payments from $688 to $750.

Song and dance about Diesels and $30,000 engine replacement.

When I was a neophyte, I signed up for Good Sam ESP; it is the only serious mistake I've made, in the time I've been RV'ing, IMHO.