Sign in to follow this  
jlapeer

Winegard Trav'ler SK-1000 or Dome Minimax?

I am adding satellite receiving service (Dish) to our newly purchased MH. I have no background in satellite, having been a comcast customer since before they were in business. Our usage patterns will be just my wife and I, watching same channels on just one TV (just like at SB home!). We want responsive, quality, reliable reception and would not rule out a 2nd TV in the future. We will be fulltiming.

My question is... for roof-mounted satellite reception, should we install a Winegard Trav'ler SK-1000, or a Dome minimax?

The cost delta appears to be about $600 more for the Trav'ler, but I would be inclined to pay if improvement in the 'responsiveness, reliability, quality reception' part was noticeable. Anyone have any experiences or advice that they would be willing to share?

Thanks,

Jim

With the Dish service you could get your HD via a dome or the Trav'ler but you will have some limitations caused by a dome which you would not have with the open faced antenna. The first consideration is that if you are in areas with rain, morning dew or similar moisture events you are more likely to lose your signal from the dome where as the open faced antenna would likely be unaffected.

Also, the Dish service is provided from 3 different satellites (more is you want to discuss Western Arc and Eastern Arc) and a dome can only see one satellite at a time. This would limit or eliminate the use of a DVR or dual tuner box if you choose the dome. The dome and Dish work best together if you plan to only use one signal tuner receiver. For anything else I would recommend the open faced antenna.

The main consideration when we selected the Winegard was the desire to have two TVs each watching the channel they desired. This is impossible, or very complicated, to do with the dome type antenna as they can only tune to one satellite at a time. The Winegard also gives you the opportunity to have full HD from either Dish or Direct. I think you indicated that you may want to add an additional TV and receiver in the future. The Winegard is the only one that will permit that without an upgrade. We have never had a weather issue with our Winegard in three years of use.

I'm not sure of the model number of the Winegard, but there is a model for either Direct or Dish with full HD. Either one can be retrofitted to receive the other for around $200 if you become unhappy with the provider. Motosat will tell you they are the only one that will allow you to switch; that is not true.

My suggestion is that you work directly with Winegard. They have a phone number to deal directly with the user.

I would suggest the Traveler if you wish to have full functionality of your receiver.

There is no dome presently on the market that can provide more than one satellite at a time. So unless you wish to only watch one channel at a time, unless they happen to be on the same satellite, then a dome would suffice.

If you wish to have the full featured functionality of the receiver, then the Traveler is the way to go.

I personally would opt for the Traveler.

Jim, You are in a position that a lot of us wish we were in. You don't have a dish at this time and can install a new 3 LNB auto seeking dish. It may cost a few dollors more then a dome but a lot more if you decide you want the 3 LNB. The only thing you will not have is in motion. I don't know of many people that use the in motion while driving.

My suggestiion would be to go with the 3 LNB dish.

Good luck,

Herman

Jim,

I switched to winegard last year after 4 years of hassel and frustration with Motosat. To locate the satellite is a piece of cake. The quality of the equipment is far superior. I am on Bell TV and when I am in Florida I would lose alot of channels and the signal quality was generally weaker on all transponders. With winegard everything is perfect just like at home. I have 2 receivers which permits viewing different programming. My winegard is an open face model traveller 1000

Hope this is helpful

Keith

Keith,

On a note separate from the Trav'ler, do you know that Bell has now reduced the area where the signal is available? Bell changed the US footprint on the HD signal (82 sat) awhile back and now they appear to have change the other satellite (91 sat) footprint as well. There are reports that neither satellite is available after you get a few hundred miles S. of the border. It appears to be along a line somewhere around the middle of OR (44th parallel?).

Folks, thanks for the advice. Looks like the best thing to do is go with the Dish network... and a SK-1000 Trav'ler. Like Herman said, it'll cost a little more but probably be well worth it.

Thanks again.

Jim

If you want to use 2 receivers you must run 1 dedicated cable from the 1000 to each of the receivers (a total of 2). That assumes that neither receiver is a DVR but 2 single tuner receivers.