Sign in to follow this  
buttster

Blue Ox Towing Lock Set (WARNING)

Warning to anyone thinking that a locking "tow-pin" system will be of any security or deterrent to tampering

After purchasing a Blue Ox's Tow Pin Lock System for security reasons, I found out via a fellow RV'er that they are not as secure as I assumed. We had the unfortunate "pleasure" of one lock being removed (borrowed) at a Truck Stop. This could have resulted in a serious accident on the Interstate, but fortunately it came apart on the ramp prior. Yes I should have checked, but it's a lock. It seems that 1 key is used for all these lock sets. As after this incident I purchased a new set which came with, yes the same previous key number of the "borrowed lock".

I did pass this information onto Blue Ox, but there has been no acknowledgement.

I have gotten into the habit of double checking the locking caps on my Blue Ox locking pins when hooking up.

Recently, for some reason after hooking up, I rechecked the locking pins, and found one locking cap that I must not have put enough pressure on and it was not fully seated on the locking pin.

Although it appeared locked, and I believed I had locked the cap on the pin, it wasn't, and would have fallen off.

All locking pins get double checked after hooking up the toad.

I have gotten into the habit of double checking the locking caps on my Blue Ox locking pins when hooking up.

Recently, for some reason after hooking up, I rechecked the locking pins, and found one locking cap that I must not have put enough pressure on and it was not fully seated on the locking pin.

Although it appeared locked, and I believed I had locked the cap on the pin, it wasn't, and would have fallen off.

All locking pins get double checked after hooking up the toad.

I had the same thing happen several years ago. In my case the pin was still in but had worked out part way and the lock part was gone.

I went back to the hitch pin type pins and check them when I get ready to leave after stopping to make make sure no one has messed with them.

I purchased a used 1997 Jeep Wrangler and plan to tow it, any advise on what type of tow bar system is better and brake system I should purchase. I checked out Camper World and they gave me a price of $2000 for total package including installation which included a braking device under the driver seat.

I have had the Road master and the Blue Ox tow bars and I prefer the operation and longevity of the Blue Ox system. Yes, they charge me $25 for a check up, cleaning and adjustment at the rallies but I am OK with that as I prefer their system.

I have also used base plates from Blue OX, Road master and a custom built unit. I don't see any particular advantage to one over the other, just get a matching base or a base for which ever company makes one for your toad. Currently I have a Road master base with a Blue Ox adapter on my vehicle.

Skitterguy, Blue ox make a set of bumper mount tow bar brackets that cost $52 when I bought them 3 years ago.

Note that a stout aftermarket bumper is needed, the stock sheet metal bumper ain't gonna hack it. Mine ois from rockcrusher, and is all welded 1/8" steel plate.

Those brackets will mate with any good motorhome mounted tow bar. I used a Blue ox Alladin (bought used)