astmi

Removing 3M Front Mask

Does anyone have experience with peeling off the 3M protective shield on the front end of an RV?

Do I have to peel it off an 1/8 of an inch at a time with my nails or is there a better solution?

Thanks for any help.

astmi,

I was told by the owner of Extreme Graphics to use steam and not a heat guns. He said that with a hot air gun the heat just keeps on rising and can blister the paint if held in one spot too long. Where steam's max temp is 212 degrees and by the time it get to the 3M shield it is around 190 and is hot enough to help release the adhesive but not hurt the surface. However he also said with the best of care the paint can still be damaged by what ever tools you may use. He quoted me $3,000.00 to remove mine. That included removing the shield, and repainting the front of the coach from the windshield down. He said that the most of that was the labor to remove the shield. He said that he has had coaches that took up to 3 days to remove the shield. I may have him do it next year.

Herman

When I had my coach painted last June I was offered the Diamond Shield for $1200. I asked how much to repaint the front end and was told $800. I opted for the latter. I'd rather do that than spend thousands latter.

I had mine removed and the front end repainted. Cost was around $2500 but he said he would never do another for that price. I think Herman's $3000 quote may be more accurate. If you could sell ugly, that original peeling 3M crap on my coach would have been worth a fortune.