Sign in to follow this  
denali

Membership Renewal, Canadian

That time of year to renew membership into FMCA.

I am having a hard time deciding if it is worth it. In the past year we have done 2 things involving FMCA. One was to attend our first ever rally, in Pecatonica IL. We came away from there wondering why we would ever drive 1500 miles again to come to another rally.

Other than meeting some very nice people, it was a bust, very hot and very boring. I guess our expectations were too high, that there might have been a few more than 15 or so venders and some MH displays that could hardly wait to get out of there. The other thing we tried to do with FMCA is the Michelin tire program. After contacting a dealer here, he had to get in touch with the area rep, who said he could do something for us and took 2 months to get back to the dealer, just to tell him there was nothing he could do. I think it is very similar to other programs offered by FMCA in that they are not available to Canadians. So being from Canada, I don't see any value in being a member. Any discounts we get are also available with GS and AAA.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. The rally you went to sounds like a local small get together. You should try one of the international rallys. There are hundreds of new coaches and hundreds of vendors, evening entertainment, etc.

Hi denali, my wife and I have been members of FMCA and Coach-Net since 2009, I find the forums great for a info source, and Brett seems to always have the right answers when I ask him questions. I love the magazine and have every issue saved, I find myself going back and reading them from time to time to get valuable info. We have never been to a FMCA event or even a smaller one. Sooner or later we probably will but thats not the reason we joined. We had never done any type of rving and became rvers in 09, in the 4yrs prior to that I had been reading the forum and talking to rvers to try and get an idea of what we were going to purchase. I am a member because of the members not for any other reason. Hope this helps Smokeater75. :) :)

denali,

Also I am sorry for your first Rally experiance. Might I suggest that from the home page you go to Chapters then to International. Take a look at come of the Canadian Chapter. You may find one close to you and you can visit one of their Rallies.

A Chapter Rally is the way to start with the FMCA experiance.

Try sending an email to Al Vormittag, International Area Vice President. avormittage@fmca.com.

Al should be able to help.

Good Luck and Stay with us.

Herman

As far as Michelin tire pricing I just bought mine at Costco. The price was very close although they had to order them, it took 2 days.

Costco Canada - no

Costco US - I don't think they handle 22.5" tires

Costco Canada - no

Costco US - I don't think they handle 22.5" tires

They do handle Michelin 22.5. I just bought mine at Costco Las Vegas. They just don't mount them. I bought professional tools to change the tires myself. Real easy, as a matter of fact I did one yesterday. I used to do them with crow bars but now its much easier.

I have had nothing but a good time, learned things ,good music, meet new people, got things repaired by pros.

The magazine is worth the cost alone.

Rick

Hi denali, my wife and I have been members of FMCA and Coach-Net since 2009, I find the forums great for a info source, and Brett seems to always have the right answers when I ask him questions. I love the magazine and have every issue saved, I find myself going back and reading them from time to time to get valuable info. We have never been to a FMCA event or even a smaller one. Sooner or later we probably will but thats not the reason we joined. We had never done any type of rving and became rvers in 09, in the 4yrs prior to that I had been reading the forum and talking to rvers to try and get an idea of what we were going to purchase. I am a member because of the members not for any other reason. Hope this helps Smokeater75. :) :)

I have found that IRV2 has great forums as well

I also aquire info from there as well as Good Sam, but I have found in my limited experience that over all FMCA seems to be the best for me. There are many resources out there, what are your expectations, I agree with a previous post, if rallys are your thing then join a local chapter and you could be doing something every week-end. Good-luck Smokeater75

On Michelin RV 22.5 tires, I checked at the Manitoba Costco's & they had no listing for them and said they

could not supply them. Probably the same story at all Canadian Costco's.

With the FMCA Michelin Advantage tire program, they do indicate it is not available in Canada. However, much of our traveling is in the US so this isn't an issue.

I have called ahead to a Michelin dealer that participates in the program (Sioux Falls ,South Dakota in my case) which was on our route.

They arranged to have the tires I needed on hand when I arrive. This, for us, has made the FMCA membership worth having.

As far as Michelin tire pricing I just bought mine at Costco. The price was very close although they had to order them, it took 2 days.

I got 6 Miclelins at my local Sam's Club for less than the FMCA "advantage" price, (in June of '12}

Sam's Club had to order them..... (as the tire dealer would have had to if I had used the "FMCA Michelin advantage tire program").

Just because FMCA says it is an "advantage" does not mean that it is.