Sign in to follow this  
MarYJac04

Age Old Question: When to Stop RVing

I know this is a question without real answers, but I still would like to ask it. I would like opinions as to a maximum age to realistically continue to travel in an RV.

A little background: We are quite new to RVing with a small 25-foot unit and are considering moving up to a 32- to 34-foot Class A, mostly for comfort. I will be 76 this year and we have lived on a cruising sailboat for several years, so I am quite mechnically inclined and self-sufficient. We have known both RVers and boaters who are in their upper 80s, but have known others who had to give it up at a much younger age.

I turned 80 in October and my wife is 76. We still enjoy the RV, and both of us drive, although we don't drive 700 or 800 miles a day anymore. If you feel young, and can still safely drive, keep RVing.

You have answered your own question :rolleyes:

Some are old mentally and physically at 60, some are still active and interested in new experiences at 80+.

Having lived on and maintained a sail boat, you are likely in the upper percent in terms of staying active.

BTW, we are "semi-retired" sailors as well. Dianne and I have done about 25,000 sailing miles. Couple of Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37's and now a Catalina 350.

Brett

MaryJac.

I to am your age. Like Brett said, you and only you can and will know when it's time to give it up. I still feel like I can do most anything I have ever done. However, now when I have to get down for something, I look around to see if there is anything else I need to do before I get up.

At our age we can take a little longer and see more then we have.

Good Luck

Herman

Thank you for the responses. I guess I just feel a little ignorant of what to expect. When cruising in remote areas for months at a time, we had to be prepared with many spare parts for all systems on the boat, and be able to use them. I am unsure of those types of requirement for RVing.

Thanks, again.

Thank you for the responses. I guess I just feel a little ignorant of what to expect. When cruising in remote areas for months at a time, we had to be prepared with many spare parts for all systems on the boat, and be able to use them. I am unsure of those types of requirement for RVing.

Thanks, again.

The same thing is true with rving. I carry spare parts, tools and at least one spare tire, 2 spares if on a long trip. We are in the motorhome for 6-8 months at a time.

A MH will be a piece of cake for somebody that has lived on anything as tight as a sailboat. Looks like we need a sailors forum here...I just sold a Catalina 320.