sbissell

Towing A Chevy Equinox 4 Wheels Down

After a trip across the county towing my car on a dolly I'm looking to find a dinghy I can tow with 4 wheels on the road. The dolly takes up too much time and space. I'm looking at the Chevy Equinox Crossover and wonder if anyone has any information on towing them. As per usual the manufacturer is reluctant to tell me anything. I would consider other makes/models if they are recommended.

We previously towed a chevy 4 WD trailblaser and now on our second 4 Door Jeep Wrangler, I am 6'3 and have lots of room along with storage. Very easy to hook and unhook, the Jeep is ideal for off side road touring. We have a 45' coach and sometimes forget its behind us (camera keeps me informed). The Wrangler is our second car , we use it more than my wife's Expidition.

We own a 2012 Equinox and purchased it specifically for ease of towing. While I have not yet had the bracket added to the front of the Equinox, I have read many posts and watched several vidoes depicting how it is done. The Equinox is just as towable as the CR-V now. Good luck!

We have towed a 2011 Equinox with automatic transmission for about 30,000 miles with no problems. There is one fuse to pull, but I installed a switch so I don't have to pull the fuse.

We have towed a 2012 Equinox 2 wheel drive approx 3500 miles with no problems. Easy hook up, tows well. We used Roadmaster tow bar and base plate.

I found a utube video on etrailer.com with installation instructions. Owners manual gives instructions on towing.

Check out the Honda CRV, 2 wd or 4 wd and the manual explains how to prepare for "towing behind a MH."

The towing capacity is determined by the LESSER OF:

GCWR less actual coach weight

Hitch rating

Chassis/coach rating which could be limited by transmission, brakes, frame extension, etc.

Bottom line-- check with Winnebago for the towing capacity of your motorhome.

Hitch rating is just one of the determinants.

We have a 36 ft Winnebago with the Ford rail and it has a 5,000 pound hitch and the Equinox is around 3,900 to 4,100 pounds so with a good tow package we have Roadmaster you should be good to go.

We tow a 2010 2 wheel drive Equinox. I specifically bought this because it's one of the few vehicles that does not require a lot of setup and it has plenty of room for passengers. It's my everyday car and I didn't want to go too small. We tow it with a Blue Ox 6500lb tow bar and Patriot braking system. We've towed it over 20,000 miles with both a 33ft Itasca Workhorse with a 5000lb hitch and now have a Fleetwood diesel. We've only had one problem with the towing and it turned out we had to get a new tow bar this past summer. Seems they wear out around 45,000 miles. As for ease of towing, the Equinox works really well. I'm very pleased with it.