MichaelUpchurch

275 Cummins Fuel Filter Canister

Do you have a plastic BOWL? or is this something else.

If you are going to the trouble to change the bowl, I would just replace the filter along with the bowl.

The bowl is metal but the cap is plastic.When I went to change the filter I cracked the cap by accident.Their is a 14 mm square in the center of the cap that cracked as was trying to loosen it.

Mike,

The filter housing and top come as one unit. Had the same problem 5 years ago. Broken top.

Wish I had placed the part number in my file.

I have used up my allotment of space for pictures or I could post a picture of the filter. 99% sure they would be the same.

This housing has the water in fuel sensor mounted inside the housing also.

Rich.

@desertdeals69 i was using a wrench and unfortunately that's what cracked for some reason.

@DickandLois good news today not Cummins.....but Freightliner parts sells just the cap WOO HOO $26.00 that includes tax and shipping.

Mike

Mike, that's good to know! thanks for the information.

You will need to prime the engine once you get a new filter and cap screwed back on.

Look over the procedure if you are not up to speed on priming the engine. That process can take time, I fill the filters with fuel before installing them. Can save a lot of time.

Rich.

If the cap alone is $26, why bother, you can get a whole new filter for less.

Re Rich's post. I tried the manual's way of changing filters...prefill the primary and fill the secondary by turning the ignition key on for a minute, then off, about six times. The manual's way did not work, I now prefill both filters, but I fill them with a funnel that has a built in filter: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100849&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50396&classNum=50404

You will need to prime the engine once you get a new filter and cap screwed back on.

Look over the procedure if you are not up to speed on priming the engine. That process can take time, I fill the filters with fuel before installing them. Can save a lot of time.

Rich.

Rich.

There is a bleed valve on the side of the canister, turn the ignition switch on and off and then open the valve. The pump will run for about 30 seconds. Close the valve when it stops priming or when the air is gone.

It may take two or three times to purge all the air out. Filling the filter before installing is not a good idea because of contamination according to the Cummins seminar.

@desertdeals69 i was using a wrench and unfortunately that's what cracked for some reason.

@DickandLois good news today not Cummins.....but Freightliner parts sells just the cap WOO HOO $26.00 that includes tax and shipping.

Mike

When you use a wrench its a lever action, when you use a socket its a rotating action, it makes a difference.

Back up and running-- getting to head out to Myrtle Beach S.C

Thought I would leave the part # just in case someone else comes across the same problem # 3959449S brand fg.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Mike