HAPPYHIKER

Desiccant Cartridge Replacement

I have an 11 year old motor home with approx. 35000 miles on it. Having read some inputs via the forums, The potential of a desiccant cartridge in my Bendix air dryer breaking up and causing a very expensive cleanup has me thinking that maybe I should replace it as a preventative measure, DIY cost approx. $170.

I am not interested in just throwing $170. into the wind but would like some advice from readers of this forum.

By the way the existing system seems to be working just fine.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Merle

2002 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC350 w/Allison 3000MH

You need to change the filter and desiccant. I failed to do mine in a timely fashion and I had engine oil dripping out of the bottom of the dryer. I first thought something broke in the compressor but when I changed the filter everything was ok. I was told at a truck center that failure to change the filter would cause it to pump oil. My dryer is a Haldex and the filter kit was $132 at my local NAPA store.

DO IT.

The option I use is to get a Bendix factory reman (NOT reman by Bubba or his friends). That way the factory overhauled it and replaced, not only the filters but also heater, valves, etc. Not much more money if you figure your time as worth anything.

Gentlemen,

El stubido here. Are we speaking about the Dryer for the Air compressor for the brakes and air bags. If so I need to check mine out. Now I need to locate it under my coach.

Herman

Herman,

In a word, YES.

The air dryer is immediately downstream of the engine-driven air compressor. So between air compressor and first (wet) air tank.

After I changed mine in November I was at Bontraggers in Michigan the first week in December and found a complete Haldex dryer, never been installed, they wanted $200 and I offered $150 and they took it. It had been setting for some time because I saw it last summer but didn't know I needed it. I installed it complete and took my old one and removed the filter and all the other new parts and put it back in the box so now a have a complete kit for next time.

Thanks you guys for the insight......

Your experience and judgement have been invaluable to me as a new DP owner. I will pursue a replacement.

2002 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC350/Allison 3000MH