Sign in to follow this  
jagmoor

Recommendation For A Portable 110 VAC Air Compressor

We're looking for a recommendation for an air compressor we can take with us.

Finding it hard to check the tire pressure with cold tires otherwise. Any recommendations by brand, price or place to buy would be appreciated.

I have a Porter-Cable 4 gallon pancake compressor which has a 165 PSI capability. More importantly, it starts its recycle at 130 PSI. This is important if you are trying to inflate tires to 110-120 PSI. I ordered mine from Amazon, it was ballpark $180.00. t fits nicely in the front bay of my coach, is easy to get out when needed, and really does a good job on bike tires, etc. Also will shoot a nail gun really well, if such interests you.

I have the same air compressor. You can find a 1/4 inch - 50 foot hose at Harbor Freight that is reasonable and very flexible even in cold weather. !/4 inch hose is large enough because you need pressure not volume.

I use my on board air because it is run through the drier and is clean. Also powers my 3/4 inch impact wrench for changing tires. If you use a portable compressor be sure to use a drier.

Bostich Trim Air works for me. Fits my slotted space, 150 psi for big tires, easy to handle. Not the least expensive but not unreasonable. Lots of useful accessories. Actually easier than getting out the hose (always just a foot too short) to use on board air.

Are you running so close to your Max tire loads that a loss of 5 psi moves you to overload? Are you sure your hand gauge is accurate to that level?

If you use a +5psi or +10psi above the min you need for your ACTUAL tire load you should not see a need to add air in the morning and can probably wait till you get to a truck stop that has high pressure.

How I would "Top Off" and add a few psi to a tire that is no more than 5 psi below minimum for the actual load.

1. Measure all your tires cold and writ down the actual cold infl

2. Calculate how much air, in psi, is needed to get to your goal.

3. If actually below min. Drive to nearest truck stop at 50 mph or less or

If just below your goal of + 5 or 10 psi gust drive to your next fuel stop.

4. Measure your "hot pressure"

5. Add the number of psi calculated in #2 above plus 2psi to the hot reading and inflate your tires to that pressure while hot.

6. Next morning I think you will find you are +/- 1 psi of your goal.

If you discover you are really low i.e. -10% or lower you need to find out why.

You should NEVER drive on a tire that has lost 20% of its air at any speed as this is considered "flat" and you may do internal structural damage. A Servie call is called for.

If you have been monitoring your TPMS you should only see minor variations of +/- 2 to 5 psi in cold due to Ambient temperature changes and 1 to 3 psi due to elevation.

Hope this helps.