Sign in to follow this  
selmansrv

MaxxForce vs Cummins vs Caterpillar

Can anyone share their experience with the MaxxForce diesel engine? I am familiar with Cummins and somewhat with Caterpillar. We are considering a Monaco or Holiday Rambler that runs the MaxxForce so would like to hear about performance or maintenance issues you may have encountered.

I have a little over 11,000 miles on our Maxforce10 405 horse engine. No problems yet, I average 65 on the Interstate, lifetime MPG is 8.2. I have seen over 9 MPG in the flat lands of Florida. Diplomat 43DFT towing a Impala on a dolly.

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear you are getting 8+ mpg. Our current bus is a gas and we are lucky to get 7 with the wind behind us and not running the generator. We are leaning more towards the Diplomat 43DFT ourselves and will pull a Honda Odyssey 4 down.

They have had problems with emissions with their engines. They had a exemption with the EPA that expired a while ago, which let them use their own emission technology, but now that ended. You can search MaxxForce on goggle news and see alot of info on the engines. They are now using SCR emission technology to the MaxxForce engine developed by Cummins.

Keep in mind that probably some point in time you will need to get parts and/or service and with the more popular Cummins you stand a better chance.

I would be concerned about resale value.

Also parts and service aren't as redally available as a Cummins or Cat, you can get Cummins service at Freightliner, Peterbuilt, Kenworth, i think even a Mack deal will have parts and service for Cummins.

We were on a caravan last summer in Canada and Alaska. One couple had a new Monaco with the MaxxForce engine. They had a problem twice with blown turbocharger hoses. The problem I saw was that parts were not readily available. The second time ended their trip at about 75% complete.

I have had very good performance with my MaxxForce 10. Just turned 18,000 miles, most of which were in the western U.S. mountains. Lots of power, doesn't need DEF. The emission problem has been with their larger engines for heavy trucks. There are a significant number of International trucks on the road as you drive around. They don't seem to have a problem getting service. I agree there are more places that service Cummins, although I don't know if they do warranty work on Cummins. There are a lot of International truck dealers who service these engines. I would think the availability in Alaska might be a problem for all brands.

I have had very good performance with my MaxxForce 10. Just turned 18,000 miles, most of which were in the western U.S. mountains. Lots of power, doesn't need DEF. The emission problem has been with their larger engines for heavy trucks. There are a significant number of International trucks on the road as you drive around. They don't seem to have a problem getting service. I agree there are more places that service Cummins, although I don't know if they do warranty work on Cummins. There are a lot of International truck dealers who service these engines. I would think the availability in Alaska might be a problem for all brands.

Parts may be more readily available in Alaska for the MaxxForce as we were there a year ago. For Cummins and Cat if parts were not available in small towns they got them from Fairbanks or Anchorage and, of course, there were Freightliner shops in those cities.