gwdoug2002

Refrigerator: Replacing Norcold with House Fridge

We have a 2006 Winnebago Journey. Our Norcold is not the greatest. Has anyone replaced the Norcold with a house refrigerator?

We have 2,000-watt inverter, and Winnebago says, "it should work."

gwdoug2002,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What size/model Norcold do you have-- that will dictate what your choices are for a residential refrigerator replacement.

gwdoug2002,

Even though you have a 2,000 watt Inverter you need to check and see if it is a modified or pure sine (?) wave. Most residential refrigerators don't like the modified sine wave.

A number of folks add a 1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter just for the refrigerator.

Herman

There are several different residential refrigerators that will work. Not only is a pure sine wave is recommended but also adequate batteries to keep is running.

We replaced our Norcold 1200 with a Whirlpool household refrigerator. The refrigerator uses surprisingly little electricity. We have been running with the four 6V battery set-up that was in our motor home when it came from the factory. After three years I can report that we have had no problems. I think much of the worry about extra batteries came from early days when refrigerators were much less efficient than they are now. During the defrost cycle our unit draws about 20 amps. Yes, there is a defrost cycle!!!

We boondock overnight, our typical habits are to park late in the day, run the generator to charge batteries while we watch TV. Then go to bed with the generator off and leave it off until morning coffee. We run the generator then until the batteries are charged and if not too hot, we'll turn off the generator and drive for the day then back to parking with the generator and TV until bedtime. The refrigerator will run through the night even with the furnace running on a cold night and the batteries are still good in the morning. If you boondock for longer periods or prefer not to run your generator, you may need more battery power.

I would guess that a 2000 Watt inverter should work but wouldn't guarantee it. We switched from a 2000 W modified sine wave inverter to a 3500 W pure sine wave inverter several years before the refrigerator change in anticipation of the refrigerator change when the original inverter failed. You can read about our replacement experience, Replacing a Norcold Refrigerator. There are photos go to with the text.

You are not alone in facing this situation. There is a solution. Good luck.

Well, I am new to the "family" and this will be my first post. I am a heavy equipment mechanic/diesel mechanic so I am sure I can be some help on some topics. but it looks like myself and many others want upgrade our 4 door Norcolds to household type fridge. I have all ready spotted a 3k pure sign inverter to replace my other unit with but I need to know what units/model refrigerators people are using if possible--thanks

r+mbus,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please post your Norcold model number-- that way you are more likely to get answers as to what residential refrigerators are closest in size to the Norcold you have.

I read on another website that you don't have to put the old and new through the window if you strip them both down and remove the passenger seat and handrails.

It isn't so much a matter of getting them in and out of the coach as making sure they will fit within the existing dimensions of the refrigerator or if larger, within the range of possible modifications. In our case the removal of the window was a 5 minute process and once done the old refrigerator went out the window easily and the new was in the window without struggles or maneuvering. One went out and the other came in within an hour all was done and the window replaced.

There are numerous articles on this forum that list possible models that have been used. Unfortunately, many of the articles may mention models which have since been discontinued. For myself, when we decided to go to a residential refrigerator I talked to the company which I wanted to do the modifications. They recommended a model that they were familiar with and had installed in other similar coaches. That model worked fine for us as well.

If you want to consider all the possible models which might fit, measure the height and width of your Norcold, if possible get the depth also. Then with the model information you have and the measurements you have for that model, go shopping. If you are going to do the remodeling yourself, try to examine the cabinet to determine if there is any additional space that could be easily "stolen" from adjacent cabinets on either side and above and below. You could put those measurements in a separate list that would include models which you could use if you could find nothing else. Most residential refrigerators will give you more inside space for the same cabinet size so you could down-size the refrigerator slightly and still have more internal space than before. We chose a model which fit the width but we had to modify the space above and below to accommodate a slightly taller refrigerator. The tech who did the job was unfazed, he knew exactly what had to be done.

The easiest way to shop for refrigerators or any other appliance is to begin searching on the internet. Go to the manufacturer site and check dimensions to see if they have any that come close to your available space.

I'm an older folk and lifting both refrigerators out through the drivers window is out of the question. Also I would have to have the driver seat and steering wheel out of the way so they won't get damage. Plus you would need a forklift which I don't have. This is an option that works without worrying about resealing the window and forklift. Click the link for detail instruction with pictures.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/samsung-rf197-installed-in-2006-diplomat-40pdq-102210.html

Samsung is well known to work with modified sine wave inverters. Check out the Tiffin forum if you need model numbers. My GE profile RR worked with a SMW inverter for 12 years and it's still working with my new PSW inverter.

You just need to measure. If it won't fit, what do you need to modify to make it fit. You have plenty of power!!!

Well, can most get by with 4 house batteries or is it mandatory to have six when going to a residential fridge?

Depends on how you use the coach. If you rarely dry camp, 4 will work fine, though you will be running the generator more to charge the smaller battery bank when you do dry camp.

We made the conversion in the spring of 2011 and have been traveling with our residential refrigerator for four summers now. We have the standard 4 x 6V battery bank and are quite happy with the performance. We occasionally stay at locations without power but have no problems with an overnight stay. When in cold weather and running the furnace at night, the batteries will need a charge first thing in the morning but we usually do this anyway when we wake and power up the coffee pot, TV, etc. We also usually use the generator in the evening when the lights are on and we are watching TV, using computers, etc. So we go to bed with fully charged batteries. For long term dry camping we could stick to the morning/evening generator schedule with no problem. See our install at this link. There are pictures and an extensive discussion with more information about the process.