Sign in to follow this  
SteveH01

Handling Problems

We've got an 04 Winnebago Journey 36G that we purchased in May with 31000 miles. I'm not long on experience driving these things but I think I have to fight the steering wheel too much. It seems like there is too much play in the steering wheel.

It sways and wanders and much of the time it just seems like other rigs (that pass me) are not having the same problem. In wind or when trucks pass I really have to adjust.

It's got brand new tires. Am I crazy or do a lot of you have these problems?

Thanks, Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, start with the basics:

Alignment

Ride height correct

Correct tire pressure for your actual weight

Verify that the sway bar bushings are in good condition

Shocks in good condition

Thanks for the quick response. It's a Winnebago Journey 36' on a Freightliner chassis. This one has a 350hp Caterpillar engine. Manual says it's a 36G.

I have not had it weighed and will do that but I feel pretty certain I'm not overloaded. We travel mostly with grey, black and fresh water empty or nearly so

.We've been very aware of keeping the weight down plus we have less storage space because the Journey has the heat pump, air conditioning etc in the basement.

Really appreciate any words of wisdom. Thanks everyone.

To a new driver not familiar with "truck" style hydraulic steering there is a big difference in steering a coach vs a car. The nature of the hydraulic steering motor/valve requires many small input adjustments. After several hours behind the wheel you will get a better feel for the input required and less action on your part.

None of my comments should supersede the advice given above. Make sure your coach is aligned etc per Brett Wolfe's post above.

I recommend the Blue Tigar Trac. I have used this product for years and it really assists with controlling the steering of my motorhome. It keeps the motorhome steady when encountering wind gusts, sloped roads, etc.

Another thing to consider is the position of the drivers seat as compared to a car....you are now basically sitting over the front wheels...try to look further out and not right in front of the MH, you are probably over correcting though you may not realize it.

If this and and other suggestions like weight, tire pressure, weight distribution don't work, you might want to consider a steering stabilizer like the one mentioned.