Sign in to follow this  
johntelling

Chassis Battery Age

My chassis batteries on my Excursion DP C7 Cat are over seven years old. While the engine starts quickly when I turn the key, I am concerned about their age, and if they will suddenly fail.

The existing batteries are Exide HC-31D, which appear to be 700 CCA and 840 CA.

Questions - should I replace them now? and what are folks recommending for starting batteries?

Thanks,

JT

The "Care and Feeding" a battery receives is a critical part of battery life. If not allowed to deeply discharge, water level is kept above the plates, etc, they can last a long time.

I would recommend having them load tested. That will tell you whether they need replacement.

Also, on any diesel, it is a good idea to use the boost switch when starting IF the house batteries are fully charged. Hard to supply too many amp-hrs when starting.

Procedure is:

Engage boost switch

Turn key to ignition (intake manifold heater on)

When light out, start

Disengage boost switch

Thanks, that is great advice. I never thought of using the boost switch, and thought it was just for emergencies. However, living in Sacramento where it never gets cold (unless you think 30f is cold!) I have never seen the intake manifold heater come on!

JT

Thanks, that is great advice. I never thought of using the boost switch, and thought it was just for emergencies. However, living in Sacramento where it never gets cold (unless you think 30f is cold!) I have never seen the intake manifold heater come on!

JT

You may need to check if your heater is working properly. My heater light comes on even in 90+ degree temperatures. The colder it is the longer it will stay on. At 30 degrees I would guess my heater light will stay on 10 seconds, maybe a little longer.

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack the thread.

JT,

May be a bad light bulb, or bad intake manifold heater relay.

Access the top of the engine. Locate the relay by tracing the large-gauge wire back from the intake manifold (driver's side of engine). You should have battery voltage to one large lug all the time. With engine cold, when someone else turns on the key, the other large lug should show battery voltage.

If working correctly, with ignition turned on with cold engine, battery voltage will show a significant (more than a volt) drop, as the intake manifold heater is a big load.

For what ever it is worth...I have a 2001 Safari Zanzibar with the original chassis batteries...starts just fine good voltage when checked. Just added Battery Lifesaver to increase their life...reduce sulfating. B

When to change out the Chassis and or the Coach batteries for me depends on the Hydrometer reading.

A reading of 1250 and below in one cell is a signal to replace them.

I change both chassis batteries (pair of Group 31- HD in our case) rated at (925-CCA).

One bad cell can discharge both batteries because they are connected in parallel.

The Coach batteries are replaced using the same Hydrometer reading, because I change them out in sets of 4.

Just last year one of my 6 volt batteries had a cell shot out and it discharged all four.

The temporary fix was to get a voltage reading across each battery, to find the bad battery. I removed that pair by disconnecting the ground wire connecting the pair from the remaining good set.

This did reduce the total AH by 50 % until a replacement was located for the offending battery.

Currently out of sync regarding the replacement cycle. Running one new battery with the best of the set of 4 that was replaced the last time and replaced 2 - 6 volt batteries.

One pair of 6 volt batteries, just would not charge above my self imposed change out reading of 1250 on the hydrometer.

One battery that was from the previous 4 battery cycle is still reading 1275+ after 1 year and is paired with the on road replacement.

Just could not replace one that was still on top of it game, so to speak.

Rich.

What batteries to buy? I have always gone with Interstate. Are they the best, maybe not. However for service you can't beat their response to a problem. On top of that you can't swing a long stick without hitting an Interstate store. (I know it's not a long stick but the correct old saying would not be appropriate for the site).

Herman

Herman, Do not think in the long run there is a big difference between Interstate and Exide.

Do know that Exide makes the OEM batteries for a number of the auto makers assembling units in the US.

I also suspect the Interstate contracts to make some OEM batteries.

Rich.

FYI...Exide filed bankruptcy last year. I don't know their current financial status.

I'm an Interstate Battery person also for some of the same reasons Herman has. Johnson Controls owns them along with many, many others.

Johnson Controls entered the battery business in 1978 upon acquiring Globe-Union Incorporated. Globe-Union was a Wisconsin based manufacture of Automotive batteries for both the replacement and OEM markets. Today, Johnson Controls is the largest producer of private label lead acid batteries in North America, and is becoming a leader in Asia and South America. In 2000 Johnson Controls acquired Gylling Optima Batteries AB of Sweden. The Optima Gel Battery is we

l known for its quality and longevity. Johnson Controls completed the acquisition of German automotive battery maker HOPPECKE Automotive GmbH & Co. The company has a excellent customer base that includes many of Europe’s leading auto manufacturers. Johnson Controls also produce batteries for other applications such as marine, lawn and garden, commercial, motorcycle, wheelchair, and golf cart use. Most consumers have no idea of the size of the battery giant. When people think of Johnson Controls, they think of thermostats for HVAC purposes not batteries. Johnson Controls is not only the largest North American battery manufacture, but they literally control the North American battery market.

Johnson Controls manufactures batteries for the following private labels:

interstate-batteries-150x150.jpg

Interstate Battery

Die-Hard-Battery-150x150.jpg

Die Hard Battery

duralast-battery-150x150.png

Duralast Battery

Kirkland_logo.gif

Kirkland Battery

everstart-battery-150x150.jpg

Everstart Battery

Prostart-Battery.jpg

Prostart Battery

Johnson controls also makes some or all of these batteries as well.

Acura, Advance Auto Parts, Autocraft, Western Auto, Tough One, Alliance, American Hardware, Ames, Varta, Blains Farm & Fleet, Battery Alliance, Bosch, Carrefour(Europe), Champion, Amara Raja Batteries LTD(Joint venture with Johnson Controls India).

Varta, Optima Batteries, LTH, and Heliar are all battery manufactures owned by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls supplies Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu with original equipment batteries. So next time you go and buy a battery, or a automobile chances are its a battery made by Johnson Controls.

Product names, logos, brands, and other trademarks featured or referred to within bestbatterytips .com website are the property of their respective trademark holders.

As far a using the boost switch for starting goes on mine that is automatically done when the key is turned on. The solenoid that connects the two banks of batteries to charge while the engine is running is always on when the key is on. The switch in the dash is used only if the engine batteries are too low to start the engine and to low to energize the solenoid. This is the way the factory made it.

As far as batteries used in new cars, its a matter of cost and not always the best. I would not select a battery just because a car mfg uses them. A lot of batteries are made in Mexico.