Sign in to follow this  
tilldee

Ballpark Cost of Setting up to Tow Vehicle Four Wheels Down

We are thinking of towing our 2011 Chevy Equinox and wondering if anyone could give us a ballpark estimate of the cost of getting everything we will need, including wiring the car.

Tilldee,

Tow Bar $650.00

Base Plates $450.00

Brake system $1,200.00

Light wiring $175.00

Some of these cost can be reduced If you can do your own work. Remember these are estimated cost.

I have not looked at the towing guide, is the 2011 Equinox towable?

Herman

I recently installed a base plate, wiring and brake for my 2014 Jeep Wrangler.

Base Plate: $358.

Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring: $45

M&G Brake: $432.

M&G Break-away: $210

I have a Blue Ox towbar that I purchased off Craig's List for $250

I did the install myself.

I got everything off craigslist except baseplates and tow lights and saved a bundle. Example is braking system I got for $200 and had to buy second vehicle kit for $100 saving $900.

I had my 2013 Equinox equipped for four wheel towing when I bought my motorhome a few months ago. I believe it ran around $2,500. Be sure that you also add a toggle switch so you do not have to remove the fuse when towing.

Jaime

I figured our 2005 Odyssey at about $2,200 in '05 and I did the wiring myself. Everything new from RoadMaster, including the Sterling towbar. I see Camping World is running some specials too. RoadMaster Falcon2 and brackets (no brake though) for $1575.99 installed.

Blue Ox Aventa tow bar--used--$450

Readybrake brake bar--$430 --I installed

Baseplate for 2006 Saturn Vue--$125--Had fabricated because I wanted 18" spacing on tow points--I installed.

Towing lights--I made wiring harness from drop cord, added ground wire, two 1157 sockets and bulbs, drilled hole in each taillight assembly and then plugged in the sockets. The Balkamp 7 pin plug and cord, safety cables all came with the tow bar.

Total, all pieces including nuts, bolts, washers, Loctite, and several cans of "calming" fluid came to about $975