I just bought a 2013 coachman. as i backed in to my driveway, I bottomed out causing thousands of dollars of damage.

I need advice. Do I install air bags-- if so what type.

What about skid wheels? maranda 32ft silver edition

TimAndJoan,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

First question is whether the drive can be modified-- either permanently or by using 2X12's across the offending area.

Do you have the same issue if you go in frontwards?

Wheels are rarely a good solution, as they transfer huge amounts of weight on areas that are not designed to be load bearing. They can easily cause chassis twist that will do damage.

The best advice is likely not the advice you are looking for. If you need more than a couple of extra inches of clearance you are not likely going to find a modification that will be good for the coach. That only leaves fixing the angle of the driveway or not taking the RV into the driveway at all.

My driveway is flat so I don't have a problem at home but I do have casters mounted to the bottom of the receiver hitch that protects the low parts when I enter some driveways, such as fuel stations.

You said "thousands of dollars in damage" and then you talk about an add-on that will raise the rear "several inches". How many inches is "several" and would "several" prevent this damage from occuring in the future? What if you forget (and you will)? Are you willing to pay thousands of dollars again?

I'm new at this but it occurs to me there is a lot you need to remember like lower jacks lower antenna remove chock blocks the r/v dealer claims it can lift 7in. I just found on line a product called curb alert for $130.00 sounds like what will prevent this from happening again ??

I put air bags on my first class A gas rig. The system came with a small air compressor and controls that I could work from the drivers seat. If you go with air bags get that type of system.

But before you do anything you need to find out exactly how much lift you need otherwise you may spend 100's of dollars for nothing.

I have the same problem with my driveway. After trying different angles of approach and boards of various sizes, I gave up and just don't bring the MH to the house any more. Fortunately where I store it has water and power, so the only real inconvenience is hauling our stuff to and from when making a trip.

Depending on the height of the incline, rollers can be both good or really bad. Air bags can lift, to a certain degree, the body leaving the weight on the drive wheels. The rollers can allow the vehicle to roll over the incline, but if the drive is too steep it can take the coach weight off the drive wheels and lose traction leaving you stuck with your wheels just spinning. :o In some cases a vehicle can back up a grade where it will drag going forward.

Herman