Sign in to follow this  
elkhartjim

Tire Repair Question

I checked my tire pressure yesterday and found one of my steer tires low. I normally carry 95# and it was down to 68#. I aired the tire back to 95# and when checking today it had lost 6#. Thankfully, the motorhome is in my storage building at home. I called Coachnet regarding sending someone to repair the tire. They state that roadside assistance will not repair steer tires, only rear tires. My concern is I'm 25 miles to the closest truck tire repair and I'm somewhat concerned about driving with the possibility of the tire going flat on the highway. Coachnet says they will try to locate a tire to install to get me to a tire store.

My question...can I safely repair the tire and keep it a steer tire? Its a Michelin I purchased 8 months ago and have less than 5000 miles.

Jim,

Couple of issues:

Has it been driven with lower than required PSI (for your wheel position weight)? If so, I would not use it for a steer tire.

The kind of damage and its location. On tread area is OK to repair. Sidewall is not OK to repair.

And, if you have on-board air and have verified that you are OK per the two above issues, and are only loosing 6 PSI overnight, you might:

If you have a TPMS-- just keep monitoring PSI

OR

If you do not have a TPMS, stop every couple of miles and verify PSI.

Again, only consider driving if you can do it safely.

I haven't driven it in at least two weeks other than backing out of the building a couple times so I don't think I've driven it under-inflated.

I think I will drive to the Strouhal store in the morning.

Thanks.

Jim,

Might want to inflate to PSI on the sidewall/rim. That will give you a little more cushion in terms of air loss.

Have you confirmed that the leak is in a repairable area and not one that could cause a blow out?

Brett,

I've checked the sidewalls and I don't see any evidence of damage so I'm going to assume its something in the tread area. I'll air'er up to max and head out, stopping regularly to check'er. Its only lost 1# since about 8-8:30 this morning.

BTW...ordering a TPMS tomorrow.

Thanks for your help, Brett.

Jim, Have you tried the soapy water trick around the valve stem area.

If you use the balancing compound it can get into the valve and cause a slow leak. BTDT once or twice..

Rich.

Thanks, Rich.

That was the first thing I checked...leaking valve stem. I sprayed it with soapy water and no bubbles.

I use the Centramatic wheel balancers which are great.

OK, you been off roading some where? Putting a hole in a tire with as many ply's that a new RV tire has is not easy !

By chance do you have a long Honey Do List !

Maybe the DW is trying to keep you closer to home ! LOL

Rich.

What Coachnet said about the steering tires not being covered under the warranty concerns me. I thought all my tires were covered. I'll have to dig out my contract and check. Do y'all think this is standard.

I've learned three things today...so far!

One, never ever just visually check your tires and think the pressure is ok. The low tire looked just like the other three but was approximately 30# lower in pressure.

Two, don't always believe what Coachnet tells you. I took my motorhome to Strouhal Tires this morning. Their business is probably 90% truck and RV tires. They said their road service will repair (patch) a steer tire if its the first such repair. Coachnet told me yesterday, no road side service will repair a steer tire - ever!

Third, the only thing we/they could find this morning was the valve stem where it attaches to the wheel was a little loose. He tightened it a couple turns to make it snug.

I'll keep a close check over the next few days and now I'm getting on the phone to order a TPMS. I had a flat last week on my Jeep and now the motorhome. I don't believe in karma but I do believe in signs.

Rich and Brett, thanks for your advice and Rich, the DW is antsy to hit the road so that wasn't the problem.

Oh yeah, I asked my contact there about the problem getting Michelins and he said he has two customers that have been waiting for almost two months. He said that Michelin was selling the tires in Asia and Europe and to the RV manufacturers here and letting the consumer wait.

If the leak was a loose bolt in valve i am wondering if the valve or at least the rubber gasket around the valve was replaced when you got the new tires.

The rubber part of valve system can "age out" just like a tire can. Whenever you replace a tire it's good insurance to replace the valve stem rubber parts at the same time. There are torque specs the tire shops should use but I think most just tighten till it "feels" good.