kaelalynn

Help! Can't Get The Sun Screen To Go Back Up

I can't seem to get the sun screen on the driver's side to go back up on our (new to us) MH. I pulled it down like a regular pull-down shade, but it never gave a hint of trying to go back up.

The MH is a 2003 Damon Escaper 40' DP.

The sun screens on the windshield operate electrically with a toggle button.

Any ideas on where to look, what to push on, what to pull on?

See if you can locate your 12 volt fuse panel. there should be a fuse for the sun screen. See if you have a blown fuse. At the same time, since most companies are closed, google the manufacturer of you screen. There you may find a troubleshooting page.

Good luck and Happy Fourth.

Herman

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I should have been clearer. The problem is the side screen, not the two front windshield screens. They work fine. I can't identify a dedicated button or switch for it, so I'm thinking it is a pull down, but it shows no inclination to go back up, so could there be a release button that I'm just overlooking?

I have no experience with your particular model of motorhome. I would assume that the shade is spring loaded. Did you feel tension when you pulled it down. If not, it could be a broken spring. If there is tension but it won't release, you can try different methods of pulling down and then releasing, gently one time, rapidly another, pull down and let it snap back. If none of that works, I would take it down and take it to a shade/blinds shop to see if it can be repaired or if it will have to be replaced. Our side shade is mounted with four screws into the cabinet above, an easy job to take it down.

I have had one problem with our shade. The bottom of the cabinet has a soft puffy ceiling style lining which will rub against the roller of the shade which impedes its retraction. I have installed some nylon washers on each of the four screws between the cabinet/ceiling material and the shade mounting hardware. This gives it additional space so the roller is free to move. No more problems.

Any chance your shade says "MCD" at the bottom left? I have MCD shades, and there are adjustments at each end of the roller. If you don't have MCD, perhaps yours will have something similar? Can you hand roll it up by turning the cylinder? Sorry I can't be more help! These "small things" are frustrating in the learning mode!

Dear Tom & Louise,

Whoever posted the suggestions, thanks! There was tension, and it felt very normal as I pulled it down about a foot to block the sun, but when I tried to get it to go back up, it just ignored me. I continued to try to get it back up, but each try just cost me a couple of inches until the shade had won. I'll have to see about taking it down if cussing and praying don't work, but it looks like it will be a struggle as the access is very tight. The tension felt right each time I pulled on it, but .... With everything else having a button, it just seems like the side screen should also have one, especially with its refusal to go back up.

Again thanks for the help.

Chuck

Any chance your shade says "MCD" at the bottom left? I have MCD shades, and there are adjustments at each end of the roller. If you don't have MCD, perhaps yours will have something similar? Can you hand roll it up by turning the cylinder? Sorry I can't be more help! These "small things" are frustrating in the learning mode!

Thanks for the help Merilou,

I'll look a little later, right now it's a furnace in the MH; we're having 105 degree weather and I can't run the AC on 110 volt cord ;-( I will look to see the marking and see if I can hand turn it. I tried a little, but I didn't want to force it and there is very little room to get fingers in to work.

Chuck

Well Herman, there's was very little in the way of "kicks" in looking for a pull cord in the "BC" when 105 degree weather has been heating it up. (The DW and I call the MH the "BC" when talking to each other and "the big car" when telling the dogs to get in it because we're sure that's how they think of it ;-) Nevertheless, when I gathered up the courage to risk heat stroke, I when out to check out all the tips, and guess what I found hanging from the end of the shade? It was hiding behind the pull-around window curtain for the front windshield.

A big thanks to all of you for the help!!!

Linda & Chuck

We do have, but as I said the unit is kind of new to us, and the genset is having trouble starting. I'm guessing it's a priming issue. That's on the to-do list for today.

Thanks,

Chuck

If it's a diesel generator, make sure that you have at least 1/3 tank of fuel before starting and prime before starting. Many manufactures set up the generator to run out of fuel at about 1/4 tank so you don't run out of fuel for main engines.

Thanks, and this is set up that way. When I started having trying to check on the problem I became aware of the limit. On this model it's a 1/4 rather than 1/3.

Thanks for the wake up call.

I think its a battery issue according to the code it gave off. I got to make a trip to Costco and pick up 4 6volts.These are the next best thing to dead.