Sign in to follow this  
derhender

Black Water Tank Clogs

We have a 2006 Excursion 39J. The black water tank has two levels. The first, right under the toilet, is about 12" wide and then steps (or drops) down to a lower level that is about 4 to 5" below the first. The problem is that solid waste and paper builds up on the upper level and does not move to the lower level causing a backup into the vertical pipe to the toilet. Even with the built-in water flush turned on full, these clogs will not move unless I put a flushing pipe down into the tank thru the toilet.

Does anyone have a solution? This problem is most challenging when we sit in one place for a longer period of time. Out on the road, a partial tank will slosh around and wash this out. Help! I am tired of unclogging a 1/4 full tank.

Use more water when flushing. We ALWAYS flush the poop & paper and then fill the bowl about a third and flush again. this pushed the "pile" on into the tank.

Lenp

Test your toilet paper by putting two sheets in a quart jar of water. Wait five minutes then shake for five seconds. If the paper is dissolved into small pieces you are using acceptable paper for a RV system.

With an empty tank add 1/2 cup of Calgon water softener dissolved in a gallon of water. Then add 1/2 cup of Dawn dishwashing soap. Put this solution in your black water tank. Then fill the tank with water until you know the water level is on top of the upper level. Drive to your destination, do a dump, then add the solution again, but do not fill all the way with water.

The solution, while traveling, will clean your tank and coat the interior of the tank so less "stuff" clings to the tank interior.

All of the above are good ideas. In addition, I never leave the waste valves open when connected to full service. Leaving them open will cause the thing to happen as described in the op. Simply open the black water first then the grey water daily then close them back off after a full dump, of course more often if needed, but most of us do not require unless extra quest are on board.

My opinion only: I try to let my holding tank get close to full before I dump. To me this keeps the walls damp therefore not allowing residue to cling to the sides, dry and then flake off and clog the valve. I always use our built in sprayer several time until it runs clear, them I will dump the gray tank. to me this helps clean the hose. When we return home I repeat the process and then rinse the hose down the drain with fresh water. I always do this and then put in a bag of chemicals into the tank when we return home. I do this to keep down any potential odors.

Herman

Try filling the toilet a few times then flushing that amount of water. This will dump a larger than normal amount of water directly onto the area where the toilet normally flushes. Quite often this extra water directly on the spot might loosen it enough to get it cleaned out.

My opinion only: I try to let my holding tank get close to full before I dump. To me this keeps the walls damp therefore not allowing residue to cling to the sides, dry and then flake off and clog the valve. I always use our built in sprayer several time until it runs clear, them I will dump the gray tank. to me this helps clean the hose. When we return home I repeat the process and then rinse the hose down the drain with fresh water. I always do this and then put in a bag of chemicals into the tank when we return home. I do this to keep down any potential odors.

Herman

This is also my procedure, except I have never used any chemicals in my tanks. The real key is lots of water and not dumping until full/almost full. I also use the Geo Method a couple time per year...Google it if your interested.

Hey folks!

I'm new to the forum, but this is an area I specialize in (I have a mobile company that provides hydrojet cleaning of RV tanks). Honestly, the only way to get the sensors back working is to attack the debris -- and build-up -- on the them with high pressure water.

If you're interested in finding someone near you who can help, message me.

FYI, the Pine-Sol/Calgon solution is a great idea -- after you've got the sensors clean again.

We have a 2006 Excursion 39J. The black water tank has two levels. The first, right under the toilet, is about 12" wide and then steps (or drops) down to a lower level that is about 4 to 5" below the first. The problem is that solid waste and paper builds up on the upper level and does not move to the lower level causing a backup into the vertical pipe to the toilet. Even with the built-in water flush turned on full, these clogs will not move unless I put a flushing pipe down into the tank thru the toilet.

Does anyone have a solution? This problem is most challenging when we sit in one place for a longer period of time. Out on the road, a partial tank will slosh around and wash this out. Help! I am tired of unclogging a 1/4 full tank.

You might try filling the bowl almost full of water before the initial flush. I have a built in rinse system that has a jet that is aimed at the trouble area of my tank, the spot directly under the toilet. When you are not moving for days or weeks the mountain that builds up is difficult to move, my jet spray is directed to that spot.

Hey folks!

I'm new to the forum, but this is an area I specialize in (I have a mobile company that provides hydrojet cleaning of RV tanks). Honestly, the only way to get the sensors back working is to attack the debris -- and build-up -- on the them with high pressure water.

If you're interested in finding someone near you who can help, message me.

FYI, the Pine-Sol/Calgon solution is a great idea -- after you've got the sensors clean again.

Just getting a tank clean will not necessarily get your sensors working again. I suspect the poster is talking about an All Pro Water Flow franchise and I highly recommend them, but even this may not return your sensors to working condition.

Just getting a tank clean will not necessarily get your sensors working again. I suspect the poster is talking about an All Pro Water Flow franchise and I highly recommend them, but even this may not return your sensors to working condition.

I use See Level external sensors. Not 100 % but close.