Sign in to follow this  
msawicki

Compartment Doors

I have a 2010 Discovery.

The compartment doors are swing doors. The doors open while driving down the road even with the doors locked.

I have checked and adjusted where the latch catches. I have changes the latches and still the doors open??

Any ideas on how to fix??

masawicki,

Is it more then one door that opens while going down the road? It maybe some internal pressure on the door such as a heavy object. Are you sure that the catch on the doors are traveling all the way both in and out. I had one door that kept opening. I cleaned every moving part and lube it real good and solved my problem. I did replace all of my latches with the plastic pins with ones with the pins made out of Aluminum.

Herman

I have same kind of doors with plungers for latches and for some reason over bumps they can loosen up. I adjust the latches as tight as I can and use my palm on the latch to close tight. Slightly pull on latch handle and if there is any play in the latch the plunger is not fully extended. That has helped me to keep the doors close.

Are you positive the latches were locked? I have one door that locks at the top, but not the bottom until I push on it...or hit it with my hand. It looks locked, but isn't.

I have the toe of one of my shoes, the most comfortable, that is scuffed on top of the toe where I always go around each day we travel and try to pull the door open at the bottom with my toe. Works for me.

Herman

Herman yes i am sure all doors were locked, i also go to every door and push in with my knee to make sure before i leave for a trip, i have also changed to all aluminum pins, i am down to one door that is opening. it just seams like a bad design the worst part is when you are going into a toll booth with side open doors the gas shocks push the door open and you have to stop and get out close the door before you get into the toll booth.

Seems like a poor design to me also. Might be a good idea to add a safety latch to these doors that can remained unlocked when parked.