Sign in to follow this  
mypopslou

Jensen 32 in LCD TV

I have a 32 inch Jensen TV which is 8 years old. This TV is not a digital TV but has been working well for the last 8 years with a clear picture. When it is cold it takes a while for the TV to warm up but other than that we have not had an issue with it even though it is not digital.

Last night while watching it the TV shut off and would not come on again. It is not a power issue as the satellite and surround sound were still on and my rear TV works fine. I tried to turn it on but no luck. The red light that usually shines bright whenever we are connected to shore power and turns green when TV is on was blinking very dimly which created static on my rear TV as it blinked.

Since this is the only LCD TV I own, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try to get it to work again or is this the way an LCD TV dies.

Do I need to make a trip to my local appliance store this weekend and replace it or can it be salvaged.

I appreciate any suggestions

I would check out tvs at Costco or Sam's Club. They seem to have the best price and they are located in a lot of places. Vizio and Samsung seem to be the most popular.

Any brand of TV will work fine. We've got a Sharp 32" HD LCD TV ($525 on sale at Wal-Mart) and an LG 26" HD LCD TV ($450 going out of business at Circuit City) that replaced the old tube TV's. Jensen TV's were promoted as best for RV's but our experience is that today's TV's work just fine in motor homes. I put the Sharp in the cabinet over the dash in December 2008 and it still works great! The LG is in the bedroom and was installed in the January 2009, also working fine. Here is a link to the article on the replacing these two TV's.

Take some time to look around for a TV, the new TV's have become quite reasonable in price and are often on special sales. Today I could purchase the above TV's for about half what I paid for them in 2008.

If you didn't have an HD TV before, you'll have it now. I don't think they make anything but HD TV's. We're using both our TV's in non-HD on the satellite dish but off-air we get full HD. Someday I'll replace the KVH satellite dome and the DirecTV receivers and we'll have full HD in the motor home.

Walmart offers 720p Samsung LED sets for about $260 and 1080p for just under $300 normally. We have the 1080p newly installed in our coach. They only weigh about 15 lbs and are easier to handle because of their light weight. The wall mounting brackets are available at Best Buy and Home Depot in a variety of styles. Haven't seen any at Walmart, but our local store is one of the smallest in the system.